Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wistful Wednesday : 1940

In the Spring of 1940 Far Guys Mom was teaching school.  She was married in the Fall of 1940..and I am not sure how much longer she taught school before they moved to Omaha.

I can document where she was because of this old newspaper article.

scan0057 copy

The school had four rooms and Far Guys Mom taught 36 students of the first and second grade that year in one of those rooms. This was their Arbor Day Celebration.  The young lad holding the tree in place is a neighbor.  When I found this old newspaper clipping I sent him a copy. (He was thrilled)  I also knew the boy holding the bucket, of course he was much older when I met him..he is now deceased.  I wish the article named the rest of the children pictured..but sadly it does not.

Evelyn and WillardTom Tim

Now why am I showing you this photo..these are the two ladies who taught at the Linnell School together back in 1940 pictured in the newspaper clipping.  Mabel Olson on the left and Far Guys Mom at the end of the table. Pictured also is Far Guys Uncle Willard and cousins Tom and Tim.  I won’t even guess whose funeral lunch it is or whose 50th Wedding Anniversary it was..Tim would remember and he would also remember the year and probably what they served for lunch.  Some people have the gift of remembering some occasions better than others.  Mable looks like she is giving Tim the old schoolmarm  “what for”..and she might have been..she was his Aunt.  Sometimes family history gets complicated..but Mabel's brother married Far Guys Moms sister.  So both of the ladies pictured are the young men's aunts:)

Blog Signature

12 comments:

Rae said...

Far Guy's mother is a lovely lady. I think it is so wonderful that you are documenting these memories to pass along. Even without particular dates it is still special to keep them for the future. It keeps us rooted in knowing who we are and where we came from. Too often those memories are lost.

Laura said...

It's such a good idea to document these memories.
My mom passed away last July and I have thought of so many things that I wish I'd have talked to her about...lost memories...

Nancy said...

I enjoyed reading the newspaper article. The reporter captured the scene clearly with his words and put me right in the middle of the school yard.

DJan said...

Yes, you are so fortunate to have access to all these memories, and to chronicle them for the coming generations. I always enjoy the Wistful Wednesday posts.

lisa said...

Great post, Connie. I wish my memory was as good, maybe that is why I am going back to school to work my brain!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

What a wonderful story and loved seein' the pictures. It's great your documenting all this, I sure hope the 'youngens' appreciate it all someday.

God bless and have a terrific day sweetie!!! :o)

Country Gal said...

Great post and photos what wonderful memories to to document. Have a great day !

troutbirder said...

It's so neat that you can come up with these articles and then link them to another more recent picture.

L. D. said...

It is a neat find and the group picture is so true. Funerals are about all we have anymore to see family, oh yes, I guess they don't even bother to come to funerals anymore either.

Anonymous said...

Wow - love the way the history from newspapers still lives on.

Lanny said...

Why is it that those faces seem so familiar and so very very comforting? Even givin' the school marm "what for". I see them and I so miss my own mom. Mackarolly, I'm a grandma and I still miss my mom. Sumpin' fierce. Nobody told me I would still feel like a kid like that, needin' somebody to not even talk to, heck most likely to argue with, crap, I wish we hadn't done so much of that just dumb arguin' but I'd even take that today instead of this silence, nobody tol' me I'd feel like that when I was actually gettin' older.

Intense Guy said...

I hope that tree survived - it would be a big 'un by now!

I wonder if...Classmates.com or Reunion.com might have a list of some of the students.

Sadly a search for "Linnell Country School" brings back a number of obituaries, Edna A. Conklin and Gladys Leona Wettels the more recent ones.