Friday, April 29, 2011

Thinking about May Day

Are you thinking about May Day?  Are you thinking about making a small basket to deliver to a small child or an elderly neighbor?  You still have time..May Day is Sunday.

This is how I made mine this year.IMG_2622

I cut some fancy strips on my 12 inch wavy pattern, that is the red round cutter in the background.

IMG_2625

Then you flip flop one over the other so it looks like a braided handle…sometimes they curl up on you are are hard to photograph.

IMG_2633

This one didn’t curl..and looky that I have half of a circle…to make a cone!!

IMG_2634

I stapled my cone on the seam.

IMG_2638 Then added my braided handles and stapled them again..and then I filled them with half price Easter Candy!

IMG_2646 There I am all ready for May Day are you?  It’s ok you still have time..cups and pipe cleaners make May Baskets too..or just plain old plastic cups..it is the thought that counts. My old cake pan is full and waiting for the deliveries on Sunday. I have 8 small children that might be waiting for their baskets.

I have been celebrating May Day since I was just a little girl. It is almost a forgotten tradition. I hope it gains in popularity.

Make a basket, hang it on the door knob or set it near the door, knock on the door or ring the bell..and run away so you are not caught and kissed:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Country Gal said...

We dont have a May day here , but we take things to the church in our community and support their penny sales every year ! Thats how we give !
Your way is wonderful to I think in some way some how we all should give to those who are less fortunate ! Have a wonderful day !

Emma Rose said...

That is such a sweet tradition. I'm sure those little ones will be thrilled :) Have a great weekend and Happy May Day!

Kisses,
Emma Rose

DJan said...

I remember learning about these baskets from you last year. Has it really been a year?? I love your little baskets, Connie. What a great tradition.

Anonymous said...

Each year, I look forward to reading about your May Day baskets and the excited recipients. Such a sweet tradition. I have several elderly neighbors that would be thrilled to get one of these. I'll let you know if I make some.

Wishing you, Gene and Chance a nice weekend.

Changes in the wind said...

I read about May day before and thought it was sweet...your's are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a thoughtful tradition. I've never heard of it until I started reading your blog...

lisa said...

I don't think I have celebrated May Day since I was in grade school! I love your idea, the baskets are very nice.

Jennifer said...

The school is doing May Day baskets and delivering them to area residents today!

Linda said...

We've never done Mayday here either. Aren't you a crafty lady!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I have never celebrated May Day. What a nice tradition to keep going though. You're very creative.

Lynda said...

I, too, remember you writing about this last year. LOVE your baskets and thanks for sharing early - - - even if I don't get any done. I like knowing about the happiness you are spreading.

An English Shepherd said...

Tradition is always nice :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh! YES! I was wondering what you were doing this year. I have mine up and ready to go for May Day! I too love the holiday!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Your blog is always so pretty Connie. I love coming here. And I love your May Day idea. I don't have the energy this week to be that creative but I really should pull something together. We have quite a few kids in our little neighborhood. :) Thanks for the reminder!

West Side of Straight said...

Hooch and Odda thank you so much for their May Day treat!!!!!!!!! Odda wanted to go to her kennel awhile ago. She age some more, and Had a little treat and off we went. She slept again after your visit. Looks like the meds will do the job, but more will tell in a day or two. Happy May Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

ur effort has paid off! those are cute baskets tat u have made!

L. D. said...

It is a wonderful tradition. We had little girls next door that gave us baskets and now they are off making a living in NYC and elsewhere.

Maryhocam said...

Hi Connie, just found your blog. I love the photos. We don't have this May Day tradition but it is lovely. Can't believe you have snow in May! Makes the rain here in Ireland seem like a minor complaint!