Monday, April 11, 2011

Shell River

Yesterday as it rained the snow banks melted before my eyes..no they are not all gone..but what a difference a rain makes.  I could almost see the grass turning green! It was a cold rain..it hailed early in the morning and we had thunder and lightening which sent the very brave Chance to safety in the laundry room..behind the furnace..go figure.

I put my rain gauge away so well last fall that I cannot find it, so I can make up any amount..I think it may have rained about two inches..it really came down most of the day.

IMG_2260  The corner two miles away is full of water.

IMG_2263 Yes, there are people that live down this road. The culvert is where those two sticks are…the river has come up and it will go down..it is a normal spring/heavy rainfall event.

IMG_2266 The water was really rushing through the culvert, usually it is quiet here..but the rushing water was making it’s own music. No crawling through this culvert today..as a kid I crawled through this one several times. It probably was not the safest place to play..

IMG_2273 what kid or camera toting grandma can resist the call of the river..I am wondering if the culvert is out at the Dead Beaver Area..I may have to go check it out..we have sunshine today!:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

ari_1965 said...

I just found your rain gauge this morning. It was under my car. Unfortunately, I found it by driving over it with my car. But at least you know the whole story now.

Becca's Dirt said...

That's a lot of rain for you guys and the melting snow too. Hope the flooding isn't too bad. Ya'll stay safe. Chance knows exactly what to do - Hide.

Laura said...

We got quite a thunderstorm early this morning, but it was beautiful yesterday. It just feels so spring-like! :-)

Leah said...

Yes it was completely covered by the end of the day - the family members out on the roads this morning took the cemetery road.... Nice pics!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I know I shouldn't tell you the azeleas in my yard are in bloom. THe grass was slow to get green though. Those blooming mean spring has hit eastern N.C.

Rae said...

Flooding water is such a scary sight. It has unimaginable power to wipe out everything and anything in its path. I'm glad you are not in any danger. My heart goes out to those along the Red River right now. I don't know how they battle it year after year without giving up.

lisa said...

Boy, I saw some of the flooding going on in North Dakota and I sure feel for those folks! We are supposed to get rain most of the week but so far haven't seen a drop. I probably better stay quite, because the next thing you know we will be getting tons of the stuff! Stay dry ;)

LindaG said...

That's a lot of rain. Stay safe!

DJan said...

Right now it's not raining at all here, but last night the wind blew like crazy. Today it's calm with intermittent sunshine, which is always nice!

That's a lot of rain, Connie. Hope it doesn't keep coming down. Since you've got sunshine today, that sounds very positive.

DayPhoto said...

Too much water is never a good thing! Stay safe, my friend!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Country Gal said...

At least it aint all snow falling lol
keep safe in the heavy rains. Poor Chance doesnt like the sound of thunder Miggy couldn't care less but high winds she doesnt like beinging out in. Great photos, have a good day !

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Well slap me silly and call me Tilly, I'm sittin' here rubbin' my eyes. I see no snow!!! Woohoo!!!

We have a sayin' 'round these parts...."turn around don't drown!

Stay safe sweetie!

God bless ya :o)

Lynda said...

Please tell me you were using the zoom and were not actually that close to the water. However, flood water is mesmerizing to behold.
Hooray for almost no snow!!! Chance will miss it.

Jennifer said...

We don't need anymore water over here, please keep the water where it is... thank you! Grand Forks!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of water! Hurray for disappearing snow!

linda m said...

We don't need any more moisture here either. I say send all the rain south to Texas and Oklahoma to help put out all the fires down there.

Changes in the wind said...

Can't wait for those summer pictures...between all your snow and rain...things just have to be GREEN!

Lanny said...

That swirl of water is mesmerizing. Yep, the sound of rushing water is like a magnet to some isn't it!