Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: 1884

In 1884 my Great Grandfather was Confirmed.

Christian Drewes Confirmation

This beautiful old document is dated April 06, 1884 in Walcottsville, NY.  My Great Grandpa was born in Germany on March 20, 1870 his birth name was Christian Higher.  He did not stay with his birth parents.  He became part of the Drewes family sometime before 1884, from then on he was known as Christian Friedrich Drewes. Was he adopted or just taken in..I am not sure.

He came from Germany when he was twelve years old (1882).  He told my Mother that he was on a ship for a really long time and he saw lots of rats.

I always knew he was in New York for awhile..I always assumed he must have been in New York City or that area.  What a surprise for me to find out that on his Confirmation Certificate it says Walcottsville, NY which is near Buffalo NY.

He was a logger and also worked in the CCC camps. He was crippled with rheumatoid arthritis.

Christian Drewes

He used a chair with wheels on it to scoot around. He died before I was born. I do know that my Great Grandmother was devoted to him, she took care of his every need for many years.

Christian and Hatwig Drewes 1944 Christian and Hatwig Drewes

This photo was taken in April of 1944 more than likely Easter Sunday April 09, 1944.  I looked really closely at the calendar.. I couldn’t figure out the photo on the calendar for the longest time..it is an Empty Tomb.. and the Good Friday and Easter Sunday are highlighted.  Oh ya it was almost 2:30 in the afternoon. This is one of the very few photos of my Great Grandparents Drewes together:)

Blog Signature

12 comments:

DJan said...

What a great picture of a happy couple. It reminds me that you don't need perfect health to be happy, but a partner in life to share it with. Thanks for sharing this.

LindaG said...

Amazing story, Far Side. What wonderful history to have.

Karen said...

Great story, and wonderful to have that very old document.
There seemed to be some giving away of children way back then. My mother-in-law (101) would talk about the odd one or two she knew of.

Country Gal said...

Oh WOW! What wonderful photos and a to have that document awesome. Wonderful post , have a great day !

Patsy said...

Love to hear of the people that made this land our land. Great history

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a journey he had. Now I want to know more about her. What a strong woman she must have been too.

You are so fortunate to have this picture. It's a gem.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

WoW, what a wonderful story and pictures of the heritage of your family!

That old document is really somethin' else!

Your Great Grandma was quite the beauty.

God bless and have a super day!

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is just fascinating! What a find that beautiful document is.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I love the old pictures, and the family history, that you share with us.

Nate Maas said...

What a beautiful certificate and a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing!

troutbirder said...

I konnen nicht Deautsch sprechen. Well actually I have a similar wedding picture of my great grandfather, who with his wife, two sons and daughter followed my grandfather to America in the early 1970's. Unfortunately he (a Lutheran minister) didn't make it and was "burdied at sea." Still the rest of the family did make it and were all reunited in the future Woodbury, MN where they bought land and built a still existing farmhouse lost of among the malls and tract of St. Pauls suburbia. :)

L. D. said...

It is an amazing story. My relatives that age were leaving because of the draft. There destiny of being killed in a war was evident and many boys came over here. We framed a couple of documents like that. They are amazing to look at with all the detailed decoration.