Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wistful Wednesday: 1956

Scan0084
This photo was taken in 1956.  It is of my Mother and her sister, my Aunt Marion.  My Mom is standing next to the old stove in the kitchen in the old farmhouse.  My Aunt has a fancy shiny satin dress on and she is smoking a cigarette, everyone smoked back then..it was normal.

It is a gas stove, with a old enamel coffee pot and a enamel pot that just held hot water, it has a pouring spout..but we never called it a teapot..it was just a hot water pot or a kettle.  Everyone had one on their stoves.  If you looked inside you could see the lime scale that built up on its interior.  Sometimes bits and pieces of it would sheet off into the water. Especially if the kettle was boiling for a long time..

The dinette set was grey which was a simulated marble swirly color, there were four chairs.  Far Guy and I still have the old grey metal table, it is in my garage.  We got it from my parents old resort, the new owners had hauled it to the dump in Osage, we were right behind them and picked it up..not knowing that it was my parents old table until my Mother said “We used to have one just like it.”
   
There are two crochet potholders on the wall, and two hot plate crochet things..the old –slip- something- fancy- over- a piece- of- cardboard –covered –in- foil. There is also an old metal match holder high on the wall, handy for the cook to grab a wooden match to light the gas burners or the oven.

The walls were rough, on the bottom part of the wall was a beadboard panel. I used this same type of panel in our bathroom upstairs..not quite the same as using it in a kitchen..but it is reminiscent of my childhood:)

Far Guy is much better today,  he will resume his normal activities…thank you everyone for your kind comments and prayers, we both appreciate them:) 

15 comments:

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Good to hear Far Guy is back in the swing of thing again. Doesn't it hurt to see our sweeties suffer???

The kitchen is very reminiscent of the farmhouse kitchen I grew up in. The stove, enamelware, and the dinette set. Mom's was read with a gray inset of swirly marble pattern. We had a big old enamel container that sat on the cabinet which held our drinkin' water. We didn't have running water 'till 1960. Did I say I was old??? Heeehehehe

We won't even talk about the outhouse.

God bless and I'm so happy FG is feelin' better.

Anonymous said...

So thankful that Far Guy is better.

This photo brings back so many memories!

lisa said...

I am glad Far Guy is feeling better. It must be just horrible! I love the picture. I have a few pictures of my mom holding me at a table at grandmas and in the background is a picture of this white cabinet with white etching on the glass and i have that cabinet now and it is pretty neat to see it in an old photo!

Leah said...

Interesting post - glad to hear that Far Guy is on his way to feeling chipper.... Now if the sun would just shine!

Patsy said...

Just happy as can be that Far Guy is feeling better and that you do to: Looks like a picture I have of our family.
Patsy

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

My Dad still uses a gas stove almost exactly like the one in your photograph. Glad Far Guy is feeling better today. I read the link you put about his disease -- has he had the surgery that it mentions?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Leilani Lee, No he has not had the MVD Surgery, four Neurologists have advised against it for his particular type of Trigeminal Neuralgia, they have all felt that it would make him worse..and we cannot do worse:(

L. D. said...

I am so glad he is better. It has to be a relief from a nightmare, a calm after a storm. I hope he can feel stronger with some of the normal routine. That photo looks so familiar to my parents home and grandparents home on the farms.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Far Guy feeling better.

And that picture is wonderful - very like some of the scenes in Mad Men? ;-)

Karmyn R said...

I recently went to an Antique store and started laughing when I saw some mixing bowls for sale - they were the EXACT same one I got from my grandmother and still use to this day.

troutbirder said...

Love the flowers and nostaligia. And, believe it or not, intend to learn more about scrapbooking.:) Have fallen into that by default as my childhoodhood album my mom made for me was falling to dust. So I redid it. And then our kids albums pictures were identified and label. Now I seem to be the family (keep it simple) scrapbooker!

Changes in the wind said...

Glad to know your hubby is doing better and love the new header!

Emma Rose said...

We are very happy to hear Far Guy is doing better. We have a "match holder" on the wall by our woodstove. We found it at an antique shop and could not resist!

Lynda said...

Everybody's house looked the same in the fifties, didn't it? And you are right that smoking was normal - - almost fashionable. Remember the long cigarette holders than some women held?

Rita said...

This all looks so familiar! The kettle, enamel coffee pot, white gas stove with matches close by, the gray swirly table (ours had a ridged metal that went all around the edge) with matching metal upholstered chairs (seems like they were covered in thick plastic material that cracked over time), everybody smoking and wearing flannel plaid shirts...my goodness--did this picture ever take me back in time!! Thanks for the sweet trip.

So glad to hear FarGuy is feeling better! :)