Friday, September 3, 2010

Yellow Roses Were Her Favorites!

And then there were two, my Dad comes from a large family, there were fourteen of them. Now there are two..my Dad and his sister Anna.  Their sister, my Aunt Marie who was 82 just last month and diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer twenty- four days ago died yesterday afternoon.

I sat with her the other night, I am not sure if she knew who I was, but at least she knew someone that loved her was there.

Aunt marie copy

I learned many things from her over the years. How to take care of two babies at once, as she was the mother of twins.  How to knit, she took the time to show me how to hold the needles and my thread just right to make stitches that are not too loose and not too tight.  How not to be quite so cranky..she was a bit of a crank, that is probably why we got along so well together.

Some of my favorite memories were long conversations on an Amtrak  trip from Minnesota to Seattle one year for a cousins wedding.  We made good traveling companions.

She was not only my Aunt, but also a good friend.  Between my husband and hers they could tell some awfully funny stories and she would giggle so hard that she would practically wet her panties.  

I will miss her, but it was time for her to go on, she was so tired and worn out.  I am positive that she will be there to greet me whenever I am called to my heavenly home.  Her faith was strong, it had to be, she was widowed twice in her life.  The first time on her tenth wedding anniversary, and the second time many years later on her second husbands birthday. She leaves behind three sons and five beautiful grandchildren.

  

I visited her years ago in the hospital when she had her open heart surgery, I brought her a  couple of yellow roses..she said “ Yellow Roses are my favorite.” :) 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully written tribute to Aunt Marie. Yellow roses will always remind you of her. That's a pretty photo of her in younger days. Sounds like you two had a special relationship and lots of good memories. I am glad you were able to spend some time with her near the end; I'm also glad she is not suffering any longer. My sincere sympathy to all of you on her passing.

Judy said...

Sometimes those moments at the end of life are just what the living need...So sorry for your loss...

Leah said...

Very nice -- and a very nice family.. Hubby grew up with the twins... Rest in peace Marie

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Your Aunt Marie sounds like an amazin' woman who had a grand influence on your life. I'm so glad you had the privilege of spending time with her at the end. She's dancin' with Jesus now and I imagine with a yellow rose in her hair.

God bless and enjoy your weekend sweetie.

DayPhoto said...

I am so sorry! Your tribute is wonderful and fitting and you made me cry for you love spills out all over this post!

My sincere sympathy to all of you on her passing.


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Emma Rose said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post was a beautiful tribute to her. Even though sometimes we know it is "time" it's never any easier for the ones left here.

Nancy said...

My sympathy to you and your family. It is so hard to let go of our favorites. I am glad you were able to be at her side and give her the peace of knowing she was loved here on Earth, and I know she will be waiting at Heaven's door for you.

DJan said...

Gosh, she was sure pretty! And you are such a sweetheart, staying with her at the end. Wonderful and very moving post, Connie.

West Side of Straight said...

What a beautiful written tribute to Aunte Marie. I know you'll miss her. Our sympathy to you all.

Shirley H. said...

What a beautiful young woman your Aunt Marie was. And I don't think you are cranky at all!

Gail said...

I am so sorry for your loss but she lives on in your heart.

Yellow roses are my favorite too.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

What lovely memories you have of her. She sounds like she was a character. So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your Aunt Marie. What a lovely picture of her. Sounds like she loved people and taking time to teach them life skills.Everyone is entitled to have an off or cranky day. Ann

Lynda said...

This was a beautiful post. I do love when we have happy memories to keep us company after our favorite people have gone on ahead of us. Your photos are great!

Country Gal said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your post and photos are beautiful. It is very hard to loose those dear and near to you, through the memories they live on with in us forever.

The Retired One said...

I am so sorry. What a nice tribute you just wrote about her, and now you have an angel up there that will watch over you until you meet again.

RURAL said...

A beautiful tribute, and I am so sorry for your loss.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

lisa said...

There are really no words that someone can say that makes things better, but you sure were lucky to have such a great aunt to teach you things and beable to be friends with right along with being related! It sure will be nice to have the lovely memories to keep with you at all times!

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. Sounds as if she was a great friend and aunt.

Lanny said...

What wonderful memories you have of your aunt, it is a gift when we find a special person who can pass good things on to us and share grand and simple moments.