Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wistful Wednesday: The Table

The table sat in the kitchen for years, at one time it was painted yellow with a red top.  Red must have been one of Grandmas favorite colors.  It was present for many meals of chicken and noodles and blueberry pie.  If the table could talk it would have many tall tales to tell of hunting and fishing adventures.

The table is off to a new home in Montana with Far Guys cousin Jay, it’s Minnesota days are over.  It has served the needs of two families well, and now perhaps little boys will play games on it with their Grandmother and Grandfather..maybe the Grandma will bake cookies..and maybe new memories will be made.

Jim and His four boys copy Grandpa and his boys

From left to right, Far Guys Grandfather Jim, Uncle Ron, Far Guys Dad Marvin, Uncle Archie and Uncle Jimmy. This photo was taken sometime before 1967.  It is five to nine in the evening, two have ties on and two have flannel shirts…and Grandpa of course is in his bib overalls. I thought at first they may be having cake, but I see the tops of salt and pepper shakers..so that must be one of Grandmas hot dishes in the center of the table..it probably has a potato chip topping:)

13 comments:

DJan said...

Wow, if tables could talk what they would tell about us! I have never experienced the longevity of old furniture, as I've gotten older I realize that I'm missing something. None of my siblings is as much of a nomad as I have been, and just looking at this gathering makes me realize what I've missed.

Anonymous said...

Just looking at that photo brings back so many memories. The frig is like the first one mom and dad had and their 81 year old friend is still using it in her basement! Even the clock on the wall is familiar to me! I hope lots more sweet memories will be made with the table and its new owners.

Country Gal said...

WOW! The memories, thats what I like ! if only all the country kitchen tables could talk ! wonderful pic and post !

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that the table is a family treasure trove of memories.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

My Mom had a red table with those red and white vinyl chairs, red must of been the rage then. Oh, I can only imagine what history that table could tell if it could talk. Quite the male gathering you have there all waitin' to devour some home cookin'!

You have a great day sweetie!!!

Lanny said...

Hot dish! I love hot dish and I love saying hot dish! And I love the quissical looks it gets when I say it around here. But my mom was a cornflakes on top sorta wife.

Love the familial resemblences.

I think I'm ready for Dirt to wear bib overalls, it's time or nearly so.

The Retired One said...

Love the nostalga-ness of this picture..reminds me of when my uncles and aunts used to come over and tell great stories of growing up and us kids would be listening from the upstairs bedroom air vent. LOL. Too bad they painted that table, looks like it could have been a gorgeous oak table with carved legs at one time.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The Retired One, The table has been restored to it's original state, it is beautiful:)

Patsy said...

A great family story
Patsy

Lynda said...

Even though it's not my family, it resembles it from the same era. Don't you wish you knew the whole story behind the picture?

Gail said...

The memories it will have...and make.

Rita said...

Ooooh! Old tables and hotdish! And that frig looks really familiar, too. Ahhhh! :):)

Anonymous said...

I'll be the first to admit, I'm getting to know you little by little. BUT, I have to say, this picture tells me these guys are a hoot. Look at them looking all innocent. The smirks of the two on the right just say, "your next".. ehhehee... Love these old photos!! Tammy