Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lunch Pails

I am getting older and sometimes some things just don’t click like they should.  Then all of a sudden in the middle of the night it came to me, I was lucky and remembered it in the morning.  The pail was a lunch pail. It was one of those aha moments.

Cousin Bonnie gave Far Guy four items that were Great Great Grandpa Alecks ..I have already showed you the Mystery Item= hog scraper. One item was self explanatory, one was documented ( I will show you these next week one day) and then there was this pail.. I opened it up and said “Wonder what this was used for?”  Far Guy replied “Beats me.”  Xaver was a Tailor and then a Farmer..neither of us thought about him as a boy.. going to school.
IMG_7269 This is the lunch pail.
Xaver Aleck was born in Germany in 1828. I was surprised to read that he had a twin brother Karl who died in infancy. In 1842 when Xaver was fourteen years old his Father died, he was sent to Switzerland to attend school and to live with his older brother..but they did not get along.

Do I think this is a lunch pail from Switzerland?  I think it is unlikely..but it is possible.  I am not sure that we will ever know for sure.
IMG_6741 I was just happy to have identified it as a lunch pail…and it was this photo that I recalled in the middle of the night. A collection of different lunch pails at a little one room school house on the Lake Itasca Pioneer Farmers grounds.

I doubt if our children will take the time to read the 198 page history of this part of the family..but hopefully I can bring enough bits and pieces forward in this blog so that someday they will say..aha I remember when Mom wrote about that!

I am off to a Scrap Book Retreat later today..perhaps I will take some photos and show you them tomorrow:)

20 comments:

Rita said...

Wow! I have heard about them, but I don't remember seeing a picture. I guess it would sure keep the ants and flies out of your food till lunchtime. Is it just empty and plain inside?

Hey if your kids don't read it--the grandkids and great grandkids will probably be blown away!! ;)

DayPhoto said...

Old lard buckets were often used as lunch pails in our neck of the high desert!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Nancy said...

I never used a lunch pail, but the red lard bucket brings back memories. I don't know how many of those things sat on the kitchen counter over the years. It is a wonder everyone in my family didn't have clogged arteries - we used lard everyday while cooking and baking.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Now that's one cool lunch pail. The others are great but I'm quite smitten with the first pail.

You have a great time at your retreat you scrappy little gal! Have fun!!! :o)

God bless and enjoy your fun day!!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard of lunch pails, but never seen one. Love the second shot - delightful!

Country Gal said...

Lunch pails in my day of the 60s & 70s were a bit more modern and had various colors and character's on them . I as a farm girl back then had a lunch bag made by my mum. I will say I adore the photos of them !

Far Side of Fifty said...

Rita, Yes it is just empty and plain inside:)

Emma Rose said...

Very cool. I don't recall ever seeing one in that shape. I love family history. You never know what is going to turn up.

Emma sends kisses for Chance!

Becca's Dirt said...

I remember taking a lunch box to school in kindergarten and first grade. I forgot about trading food with the other kids.

Neat collection of lunch boxes and pails.

Pamela said...

Your midnight moments make me wish I could sleep with you. . bwaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha.
That sounded odd, didn't it.

But what fun it would be to be there when you wake up with one of your "Eureka" moments.

West Side of Straight said...

Yup - that's how they got their name, whether they're round or square, oblong, with lid or without. Wouldn't you love to see kids carry their lunch in them now!!

Carey said...

Looks like a Lunch "bucket"

Anonymous said...

I've always heard about lunch pails but can't recall ever seeing one.

lisa said...

Really neat to see the different things that was used and could be used!

Gail said...

It is wonderful when you get bits that speak volumes.

Your history will be read and enjoyed.

Have a scrappy fun time.

Abra ~ Sue said...

Love the lunch pail and the shot at the Lake Itasca Pioneer grounds. I just drove by there Sunday (didn't know it existed before). I'll have to make it a point to visit in the future. We have a Pioneer Grounds in my hometown (annual festival this weekend). Not sure if I'll make it as I am partaking in a fundraiser walk this weekend.

Lynda said...

I had some pretty neat lunchboxes in grade school. In first grade, my lunch box was actually a very small picnic style basket. And I insisted on grape jelly sandwiches every day. Today I can't stand the thought of one - - - but will eat jelly on a biscuit!

Leah said...

Love that pail! -- Wonder if there are any round some nook and crannies here... I remember packing my lunch (for a short time) at the old Osage school - don't remember what my lunchbox looked like. Only lunchbox (bag) I can think of was bright shiny yellow with red zipper & red thread. I will have to sleep on that, can I request little girl with lunch box dream? Have fun this weekend!

Golden To Silver Val said...

What a unique possession! My dad carried one similar to the black one in the second picture. It brought back memories of my own lunch box in grade school....it was Hop-along Cassidy. Now THERE'S a name from the deep past. LOL

L. D. said...

I wonder if a food item was originally packed in them before they became lunch pails. I have old smaller tin containers with bails that had coconut packed in it. I wonder if salted fish or a rendered lard, or some dried fruit was the original use of the pail. It is neat to figure it out.