Monday, September 13, 2010

Wildflowers: September 2010

Helenium autumnale

Yellow and purple/blue seem to be the colors of Fall.  This is Helenium autumnale or Sneezeweed a plant native to Minnesota. The ray flowers or yellow petals are droopy and have three teeth marks, the disc flowers make up the huge knob.  These plants are some that Far Guy planted a few years ago from seed.

IMG_7018 The  asters are blooming too, there are so many blue asters that it is hard to tell them apart. I think this is a Smooth Blue Aster or Symphyotrichum laeve which is another native plant.

The other day on the way into town I was mesmerized by the yellow and the purples along the roadways..of course the wind was blowing forty miles an hour. The Goldenrods were showing off in the fields with a few of the late blooming False Sunflowers as were the Purple Asters.

IMG_7015 Our driveway is no different..purple and yellow are the colors it is sporting.  The brush in the woods is starting to turn colors, we have had so much rain this year that everything is still quite green for this time of year.   

IMG_7011 Purple Coneflowers or Echinacea purpurea and Ratibida pinnata, or Gray-Headed Coneflower.  Both of these flowers are native plants that either come back from their old root or reseed themselves.  I started these plantings along the drive  about ten years ago with just a few plants one Fall.  The deer don’t care for them..but once in awhile they will lop one off and let it lay on the ground to aggravate me:) 

13 comments:

DJan said...

I love asters, and I keep looking when we hike up to Yellow Aster Butte for some, but so far, none. I think the pretty purple asters are my favorite. Those deer sure know how to get your goat. :-)

Country Gal said...

Beautiful photos ! Our native flower is the Trillium they come in many different colors .

Nancy said...

Most of the wild flowers around here have stopped blooming. Only the wild sunflower continues to wave their heads along the roads.

lisa said...

We don't have too many wild flowers blooming now but there are a few and of course I still have flowers along the pond to still look at, (which is coming to an end all too soon)

Patsy said...

Great post and lovely flowers. We will not have much in the garden to show and tell about now.
Patsy

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Wild flowers by a wild woman. Heeehehehhehe! The photos are just beautiful as are you. I love wild flowers, heck...I love 'em all. :o)

Enjoy 'em before the snow flies and have a super day!!!

Barbara said...

Really pretty, ours fall ones are starting to be seen too, we were just commenting about them, I have some purple ones that look like bottle brushes, just wild field flowers here, very nice, hugs Barbara

Lynne said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures, and the names of the wildflowers that the deer don't like!

Gail said...

Beautiful!

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Golden seems to usher in the season here (forsythia) and bids farewell to summer with the goldenrod.Lovely photos.

L. D. said...

Beautiful flowers. I have never seen sneezeweed before, it s neat. My coneflowers are totally gone due to rain and rot. The asters of yours are doing so well. I do see some in the ditches along the roads.

Jeanne Estridge said...

Oooooh!

(As soon as I saw the title I had to come right over because I knew there'd be beautiful pictures. Now, off to work.)

Rita said...

Lovely photos. Especially the pretty, cheery asters. Fall is on the way, that's for sure. :)