Friday, September 24, 2010

On the Roof

We ( Far Guy and I) built our home, and I do mean WE with the help of relatives; Andy and Jen, my Dad, my brother Jody, my Uncles Otto and Stan and my cousin Art.

Far Guy and I agreed on a design, we disagreed on a few things..doing a huge construction project will test a relationship. One thing we agreed on was the roof..it was to be steel so that the snow would slide off.  I wanted red, but green was more practical since the business already had a garage/retail area that was green, and that building was only fifty feet away from the house..so green it was.  Far Guy rigged up a system that Fall so that he could put the sheets of steel on all by himself.  I went to work temporarily that Fall as a USDA Potato Inspector..possibly the worst job I have ever had in my life..the pay off was insulation and windows for upstairs!

Back to the roof, it had a twenty year guarantee.  In the past year or two it has faded..and began to look like it had pollen on it all the time.  At first I thought it was just my eyes..I had the cataracts after all and things were fuzzy looking sometimes and colors were “off.”  Then Far Guy noticed it.  He called Nick, sometimes it works out great to have purchased all your supplies locally.  Nick came to look and then brought out a Company Representative to have a look see.   We now had options.. I wanted them to replace the entire roof..but they didn’t want to do that.  They wanted to buy us off..well we didn’t think so..they would repaint it and our guarantee would continue for the remainder of our twenty years..we have about 9 years remaining…finally in August they came to paint it, all the way from Chicago. 

IMG_6269 Before

IMG_7639 After

IMG_6309 During

Two guys were in this crew.  An old guy ( the painter) and a young guy ( the gofer..you know go fer this and go fer that), one (the old guy) was all harnessed up but they didn’t use the safety ropes. It made me fairly nervous..I made them some fresh lemonade as it was about 95 degrees that day. They finished in just about six hours, after a high pressure washing,  waiting for it to dry and then putting two coats of paint on and cleaning up.  There was no overspray anywhere. They left one paint rag in back of the house on the ground that Chance found and showed to Far Guy after it scared him half to death..sometimes Border Collies are neurotic about change. 

Far Guy and I were both pleased with the result, an almost new looking roof. 

There are no real guarantees in life..but having a roof over your head with one is a good thing:) 

13 comments:

West Side of Straight said...

Yes it sure looks better. That was a very hot day to have been painting up on the roof. Bur from being further south of us, he was probably used to it. We got over 2 inches of rain yesterday/last night! Come on Sun!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I'm glad it worked out for the best. I like the green a lot. Hope you have a nice weekend and that Gene is feeling much better by now. When will Dr. P be back?

Patsy said...

I like the green and did I tell you how much I like your header for fall.
Patsy

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm so glad you actually got action instead of empty promises. The green roof looks great!!!

God bless ya and have a fantastic weekend!!!

carolina nana said...

Glad to hear they backed up their guarantee because we just had a new metal roof put on our house last December with a "lifetime" guarantee on the color!
Looks like they did a nice job.
Have a blessed day.

DJan said...

I love your new fall header, too. It's inspiring me to get busy making a new one. And the roof really does look great! Hope you have a great weekend, Connie.

Emma Rose said...

It looks beautiful. We always wanted a green metal roof. **sigh** We settled for a green metal pole barn :)

Have a great weekend. Stay dry.

The Duchess

Anonymous said...

It sure is good to know someone stands behind their warranties.

Great roof.

I am signed in but the computer does not know it.

Gail At The Farm

Leah said...

LOOKS GOOD... JUST LIKE NEW! I love your new header! Beautiful!

Country Gal said...

Looks great ! I love your new headder as well ! Have a great day !

Anonymous said...

That is a good-looking roof!

L. D. said...

The fall header is a winner. You were smart to get that warranty back to work. Some people would have bought new and not got their moneys worth. I bet the paint will last longer as it probably is what they are now using on all of their present products.

troutbirder said...

Looks like fall is indeed upon you. Here it rain, more rain, and bad flooding. I like fall better. :)