Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Fireman’s Wife and Dog

Sometimes Far Guy and I are out and about when his pager goes off..he is still a Volunteer Fireman and is on call from 7 to 7 during weekdays. In our area most of the young guys are out of the area working during the day and the fire hall can be short handed. Sometimes Chance and I drop Far Guy off at the fire  hall, they will see that he gets home.

Every evening at six o’clock there is a pager test, Chance knows that it is just a test..but it is a signal to him that someone should be in the kitchen cooking supper (usually Far Guy).  Other times during the day, if the pager goes off while Far Guy and Chance are outside..Chance heads for the house ..he knows he will be left behind. He plops himself down next to the door and sighs.

IMG_7056 The other day, we were close to the location of a fender bender..Chance and I watched from afar.   Now that reminds me of a joke. “Did you know that the wisemen were really fireman? ( pause for effect)  It says so right in the Bible..they came from afar.”

IMG_7169 On Thursday night we had a “date night”..there was a control burn, and I got to take photos. Chance watched from the car, and then Far Guy took him for a walk.  I watched and took photos from afar. Far Guy was there to see that all of their cameras were set to take photos and to be a driver just in case there was a rescue call.

Control burns are done for a number of reasons usually the houses are no longer inhabitable and the owners wish to burn them down.  It provides a great training exercise for Fireman, this house provided valuable training that may some day save a Fireman’s life..or maybe yours. IMG_7182   I got some great shots of some awesome fire behavior:)

16 comments:

Gail said...

I thought these were great shots!

No ringing of a bell for Chance, gotta be a pager, how cool!

RURAL said...

I love that you can all participate in the excitement. What a fun date night, and you got great shots.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Country Gal said...

Great shots ! My hubby and I years ago were volunteers for a team we were called RESPOND ! It was all a great feeling to help the Emergancy servises and the people !

Anonymous said...

I have so much respect and admiration for firemen/women. That's cute about Chance "knowing" when it's a test. Love that last photo Connie.

DJan said...

That is an amazing fire shot, Connie. And I had to read your joke several times to get it. It's not so easy if you don't know about accents! :-)

Nancy said...

God Bless volunteer fire fighters! They are the unsung heroes of our small communities and rarely get any acknowledgement.

lisa said...

We live right next door to the fire department. How convenient is that!

L. D. said...

They are cool shots when the fire is planned. I hate to see them lose old buildings but I also hate to see them to get so bad that they are dangerous to be around.

Lynda said...

You not only took shots from afar but of "afar". It helps to be from the south to understand that "afar" joke. That is pretty neat that Chance knows the difference between the test and the real thing. You all live a very active and exciting life some days.

gayle said...

Great shots!! I will have to tell my daughter to take some pictures the next time her husband goes to one. He is a full time fireman!

Emma Rose said...

We have the utmost respect for Firemen and their families. They are all hero's to us.

Kisses for Chance,

Emma Rose

Leah said...

Nice post- brings back memories -- way to go Chance you are just so smart!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fiery date night... That last picture is gorgeous!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh, I just love a good fire and you captured it so well. I'm a closet pyro, I just love to watch thing burn. If fact I'm off to burn my trash and mow my yard. Nothin' like bein' entertained easily! Heeeheheheh.

Ya gotta love a fiery date night like that!

Hubs took me into the city for a date night Sat. night and we were laughin' about what party animals we have become. We left at noon and were back before eight. (My birthday is tomorrow) Yep, a wild bunch we are. :o)

God bless ya and have a beautiful day sweetie!!!

Rita said...

Chance is so smart!
I would have loved to see more pictures of the fire. More interesting to look at when you know it was a controlled fire and no one was hurt or their possessions burned. Great learning opportunity. Firefighters are super brave people!! :)

DayPhoto said...

A fiery date...now that is cool. But even better it was a controled burn.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com