Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: 1957

Back in 1957 I was six years old, and my baby brother was three.

There had been tough years on the farm in Minnesota, drought and grasshoppers..they were lean years.

To this day I hate macaroni with homemade canned chunks of tomatoes on top.  I like mashed potatoes with sauerkraut on them..I ate sugar sandwiches..you know a lot of butter and a bit of white sugar.  I would make a sugar sandwich for me and I would make my baby brother a ketchup sandwich( that was his favorite.)  I have since given up sugar sandwiches..but I still like just a slice of buttered bread.  I think my brother still likes ketchup..but he probably eats more with his ketchup than just bread.

My Dad went to North Dakota to work for the summer. He worked for a construction company in the Ray and Tioga, North Dakota area.  My Mother took us out there for the summer, we lived in a basement apartment and then in a trailer house.

I remember seeing snakes, big long ones called bull snakes sunning themselves on the roads. I was terrified.  I saw a Rattlesnake and was even more terrified.

Badlands of North Dakota 1957

This is my baby brother and me.  Facing the sun and squinting, it looks like it was windy that day too.  This photo was taken by our Mother in the Badlands of North Dakota.  I thought that the area was named the Badlands because they had so many snakes, OR because I loved westerns on TV..it was a great place for the bad guys on horseback to hide from the good guys:)

Blog Signature

13 comments:

Cathy said...

And there I thought I was the only one who ate sugar sandwiches lol
Cathy

DJan said...

You also didn't mention that the bread was probably white Wonder Bread that I mashed into little lumps just to see how small it would go!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

We went with my grandparents to work on the "farm" every summer and i remember the tomato sandwiches with homemade mayo.....!!
Enjoy

Nancy said...

Oh my, I had forgotten all about sugar sandwiches. I loved them, too, especially on homemade bread. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Karen said...

That is a cute photo. It reminds me of when we visited the badlands area of Alberta. David would have been about mid teens, and we sent him down into the bottom to pose on some rocks for a photo. When he got back he said there had been a rattlesnake curled up about 10' away from him.

Thanks for your comments on my mum. The only other relative is my sister in Ontario, 3000 miles away. She is the one raising the guide dog puppy.

Barbara said...

Just so cute, love them old photos, I have so many, need to up load some. Hugs

LindaG said...

I remember sugar sandwiches. :)
I dislike snakes. And unfortunately most bugs. I am such a city sissy, haha.
I need to get over that one of these days. ;-)
Hope you're all doing well, Far Side. :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

My family did the macaroni and canned tomatoes too. I'd forgotten about that. We also had fried bologna. My mother would get 5 patties out of one lb. of hamburger too.

I've been to the Badlands too, but didn't know there were rattlesnakes nearby. I'll just not think about that.

Anonymous said...

Cute pic!

I remember eating sugar sandwiches too.

Moms Musings said...

Sugar sandwiches are so good. I also love the fried bologna, we had that a lot.

L. D. said...

It is such a wonderful photo of you and your brother. Times were tough and I remember my dad had to go borrow money at the bank yearly just to buy food for us and the livestock knowing eventually he could sell a load of hogs to pay it back.

RURAL said...

That is a great photo, I love the blondeness.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Lynda said...

People always made us face the sun so we all had squints. That is a great picture of you two. We ate sugar sandwiches at times, too. But I don't want any more grape jelly sandwiches!!! And only bologna on a rare occasion.