Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wistful Wednesday : Cookies, Cakes and Ice Cold Drinks

When I was little it was a real treat to go visiting.  We went to Roy and Lorraine's just a little ways down the road, they were our next door neighbors in the country. They had two children, both older than me.

scan0061This is Lorraine, she made me many birthday cakes, and what was so great about her cakes is that she made two of them..a big one to share and a little one that was all yours.  This photo was taken at our farm when I was four years old in 1955. She must have been very busy baking cakes..as her husband Roy and I shared the same birthday.

Lorraine always had cookies..always. What goes better with cookies in the summertime than a cold, icy drink. Now not everyone had ice cubes..ice cubes were lots of work. The refrigerators had room for one ice cube tray...maybe two if you were really lucky.  So you had to be on top of the ice making at all times. 

IMG_2704  Lorraine had a set of aluminum glasses very similar to these.  She had jewel colors..I remember asking for the ruby red glass and the sapphire blue glass. When it was handed to you, the glass was very cold..you could hold it up to your cheek and feel the cold. The outside of the glass would get all wet as the glass warmed up.

IMG_2707

These glasses were made by Color Craft of Indianapolis, Indiana.  I bought these at an Antique Shop over the weekend. I will serve some Kool-aid to the Grands this summer in these old glasses that have many good memories associated with them:)    

Blog Signature

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember these glasses. The grands will enjoy a cold Kool-Aid this summer. Great find Connie.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

What a fun experience to share with your grandchildren. It's noce to know it all started with Lorraine.

Love your memories.

Muffy's Marks said...

I remember those glasses, we didn't have them at our house, but I drank Kool-aid out of them at the neighbors. Your grands will enjoy them this summer!! Thanks for the memory.

Connie Peterson said...

We used to have these glasses. If I remember right, they came with cottage cheese in them and we kept them after they were emptied. Mine was a purple one. I think I still have one of the original ones - we had four - one for each child in the family.

Country Gal said...

I remember the glases my mum had them when I was a kid on our farm, mum would make lemonaid , or like Koolaid but it was called Freshy for us and we used those glasses, here I have seen them still but in the camping isle of the store.Wonderful post thanks for the memories. Have a great day !

DJan said...

In the old days, we re-used so many things, rather than having plastic everything that clogs up our landfills. These glasses bring back a memory of days gone by, but I don't remember them nearly as well as you do. Thanks for the memories, though!

Judy said...

We had many of this type of glass in our cottages...which were furnished by yardsale items...fun to remember...

Changes in the wind said...

I remember those glasses:) They were cold to hold.....

troutbirder said...

I think those "rides" to visit family friends and relatives are among the most treasured of childhood. Now many of the young people move and move far away from friends and family. It's a different lifestyle. I don't much care for it....

Dreaming said...

Wow, isn't it amazing how many of us drank from glasses just like yours? My aunt had some and on our visits I would help set the table with the pretty glasses. I loved visiting my aunt on her little farm. I guess I was a farm girl "wanna-be" from the start!

LynneFtWorth said...

My mammaw had glasses like that. I remember drinking iced tea out of them.

Thanks for the fond memories today.

DayPhoto said...

I love those glasses....I remember them from My Childhood! I'm so glad you were able to find some and in good shape also.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

What a lovely neighbour - and a great idea to have two cakes. We're cold in Scotland most of the year round, so iced drinks aren't really needed :-) Jo

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Granny Walden had a set of those glasses and the pitcher that matched. I always thought the milk tasted 'funny' in 'em.

I love the picture of your little girl self and the 'special cake'. What fun!!!

God bless and have a sweet day! :o)

Barbara said...

Cool, we had those glasses when I was a kid, my mom always put little sweaters on them to keep them from sweating, lol thanks for the memories

NCmountainwoman said...

I popped over from Troutbirder's blog and I am glad to have found you. We also had those cups that dripped the condensation all over you. We used them along with our melamine dishes!

I'm looking forward to reading your archives.

Lori said...

I remember those glasses too! I didn't like them as it was like chewing on the metal part of the pencil eraser! Uggh!

The Retired One said...

Oh gosh! I remember those glasses..and fizzies...remember fizzies????

Leenie said...

They must have made a million, jillion of those aluminum drinking glasses. We had them too. How sweet to have a neighbor who knew your birthday and made you cakes.

RURAL said...

I love it when you post about something that I also remember. Those glasses, I don't recall where I drank out of them, but I can still feel the cold.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photo - so full of joy!

I remember cups like those - so lovely!

Lynda said...

My grandmother had those glasses, too. I loved being at my grandmother's house but preferred glass or plastic or the metal drinking cup. How sweet of Lorraine to bake those cakes. She reminds me of Lou P who made yellow cakes with penuche icing for us.

Crayon said...

My "Lorraine" was Louise. Such wonderful cakes! But the idea of a small one that "was all yours" is so clever!

Maery Rose said...

I remember those aluminum glasses. My aunt had some. I never liked the taste or the feel of metal that they had but they were colorful.

Pamela said...

we had some like that, too!