Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Flashback to 1982

I am still in the process of sorting and organizing.  I should be ashamed of myself for tucking so many things away in different places.  I will blame it on the three moves between 1995 and 1998 and putting “stuff” into storage several times.

Yesterday I found a piece of heavy cardboard in a drawer, tucked inside were many old 8 x 10 photos. Now they are on my desk to be scanned. They will make good blast from the past blog fodder.
Late Summer 1982
We gathered at the top of the hill overlooking Straight Lake at my parents resort (Bass Bay).   Mom had hired the cranky old photographer from town.  He really didn’t take his time to get good photos.

The year was 1982.  At this time my parents had six grandchildren. My Mom is holding Katie (6 months old) and Dad is holding Benjamin (2 months old).  Jennifer (age 7) is sitting uncomfortably on the edge of the two lawn chairs.  Trica has her eyes closed (age 10).  Our dog Snuffer is running around someplace…irritating the photographer.

Back row: Julie (my sister), me, Far Guy, Jody (my other baby brother) She who sees Robin’s first with Josh (age 2), Beth and Carey(my baby brother) holding Kirk (not quite 2).
This summer will mark 35 years since this photo was taken.  It seems impossible…but the calendar doesn’t lie.
Blog Signature

14 comments:

linda m said...

What a fantastic "find". Love to find things I "hid" years ago.

Pauline Persing said...

Great memory photo. I can just see Snuffer running around checking the set-up out.

DJan said...

Nice picture, all right. And it amazes me at 1982 was that long ago, too. Yikes! :-)

Lynda said...

I had those same glasses as your mom!

Rita said...

What a find! Good grief--time has flown by so fast and furious. I found that shocking that 1982 was already 35 years ago. Maybe I'm glad I've never been good at math--LOL! ;)

Tired Teacher said...

I'm thrilled when families have group photos taken.

Lynn Hasty said...

How in the world do the years fly so!!!? And I hear you on moves. I moved four times in five years. Unless you've done it, a person just cannot imagine how things get sorted, misplaced, lost, donated and then sifted again to the top. xo Lynn

Red said...

Well. this is far better than nothing even if you had to put up with a cranky old photographer.

Paula said...

What a wonderful memory. I wish we had taken more pictures when I was younger. But film and developing was a luxury!

Cynthia said...

It's fun to happen upon old things like this and enjoy the memories all over again. I am always intrigued with dress and hairstyles. Your daughters' blouses are so '80s and pretty.

Granny Marigold said...

What a lovely find... those 8X10s. Priceless.

Anonymous said...

Your dad looks pretty comfortable with the little one. Great old photo!

Sam I Am...... said...

Great picture with the lake in the background and it does seem like the 80's were just yesterday! 35 years? The only way I can keep it straight is if I look in the mirror and then I am still shocked! LOL!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Do NOT be ashamed of yourself for that! My daughter and I were just talking about that this afternoon, because when I was younger, surely in a fit of insanity, I heeded the advice of all those organizational efficiency experts and tossed collections of old letters and post cards, simply because that was the "right" thing to do. It's been more than once that my daughter says, "Oh how I wish I had those now!" You simply can't think of personal items like photographs and letters in the same way as that extra waffle maker you got as a wedding present kazillions of years ago.