Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Woodcarving: Santa

Years ago, probably about 10 years ago some of my relatives ( Aunt Anna, Chuckie and Kathy) got together to carve a Santa.  The inspiration was a ceramic Santa that belonged to my Aunt Anna.  Someone scanned it so we all had copies of how it should look plus when we got together to carve we could look at the inspiration in person. Everyone finished theirs…except me. Luckily I kept the scans.

My carving has been in and out of my carving bag, for awhile it was hidden upstairs in a very large tin of unfinished carvings.  If finally found it’s way back into my bag during one of the carving sorts…there is “stuff” in that tin that should be finished or burned.

Santa Carving

I worked on it before Christmas (ever optomistic that I would finish it before Christmas but that didn’t happen) yesterday I smoothed out some rough parts. He carries a tree in one hand and holds the bag slung over his shoulder in the other.  I hope to help that area between bag and beard when it is painted… it was one area that I really struggled with.Santa Carving two

Back of Santa

His bag looks more like a backpack, I suppose I could fix that but I have declared it DONE and ready for gesso and paint. When his is painted I will share the finished carving…just another of my ongoing projects.

I have been woodcarving for about 13 years now.  I have learned so much over the years and I think my carving skills have improved.

Blog Signature

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Santa very much. It has been fun over the years to follow along with your wood carving. A few years back, my niece lived near a popular wood carving supply store in Atlanta and it was great fun to walk through. John occasionally makes walking sticks. Hope you guys have a good day.

linda m said...

Santa looks like he was a challenge. Good job on him so far!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love your carvings :-).

DJan said...

It's really good, and I don't think it looks like a backpack, but a pack. I look forward to seeing him painted. :-)

Mac n' Janet said...

He looks good to me.

Sam I Am...... said...

What you create and carve out of a block of wood is amazing! Love the Santa!

Intense Guy said...

Santa looks awesome!

Leah said...

I think Mr Old Saint Nick looks great - anxious to see him all finished up :)

Tired Teacher said...

Nice job - paint will bring him to life.

Red said...

I admire your skills and that you have worked at improvement over the years.

Terry and Linda said...

I think it looks outstanding!

Linda

Lynn Hasty said...

I think it is pretty amazing!
xo
Lynn

Granny Marigold said...

The Santa looks to be quite hard to carve with the tree and also Santa's pack. Paint will make all the details stand out. Looking forward to seeing him finished.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

ah, carving..... so many memories.

Anonymous said...

Fun to see your progress. I enjoy your wood carving posts. What a great way to remember the inspiration piece that belonged to your aunt.

L. D. said...

I bet some shading with paint might bring it into a great Christmas pack. I have been finding artwork that I never finished as I go through the studio stuff. I did save some of it and the rest will head to the heap.

Country Gal said...

Lovely work ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

Paula said...

I love it! Woodcarving seems to bring you lots of joy!

Linda Reeder said...

I am impressed with your carvings. I have no idea how to create that way.