Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wistful Wednesday :1952

This is an old photograph from April of 1952.  We were probably gathered for Hilda’s first birthday.

April 1952

My Mom, me, my cousins Hilda and Geraldine and My Grandma Y holding Gloria.  Gloria was a cousin of Hilda and Geraldines.  I think this was taken at Hilda and Geraldine's home place, their parents were my Uncle Ervin and Aunt Violet.  Geraldine is trying really hard to hold onto her little sister.

Aunt Violet probably took the photo..or maybe my Dad.  I can see the flash of the flash attachment of the little Brownie camera that was my Mothers.

Hilda, Gloria and I are about the same age give or take a few months.  I was always scared of Hilda because she would bite me and leave those terrible teeth marks on my arms.  I am sure I never bit back.

Sometimes on Saturday nights we would go for sauna at Uncle Ervin and Aunt Violets.  They had a sauna in their basement.  It was under the basement stairs.  I cannot remember what else was down there..but I can sure see the stairs and the sauna.  Having a sauna indoors was a real treat.  Most saunas are outdoors..in the winter it can be an invigorating walk back to the house:) 

Blog Signature

12 comments:

DJan said...

Aren't you supposed to sit in the sauna and then roll in the snow? Did you do that back then? If it was inside, probably not. I've thought about how good that must feel, the intense difference. :-)

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, love those old pictures......how terrible for her to bite you, I would be terrified too.......What fun at Uncle Ervin and Auntie Violets place, memories, :) Spring Blessings Francine.

MTWaggin said...

Wow a sauna in the house. That would have been quite uptown for those days! PS I hope you bit back!

Karen said...

Laughed at the looks on the faces of your mom and grandma:)

Muffie said...

I love looking at old baby pictures when the girls (and boys, too, I guess) wore those long white stockings. My mother hated them, but to appease her mother-in-law, she always put them on us when we went to see Grandmom!
Peace,
Muff

Nancy said...

Wow, to get three littles to sit still for a photo must have been a challenge. I'm sure there was lots of wriggling going on. I love Grandma Y's plaid dress.

Jacqi Stevens said...

"...and then roll in the snow"?!?! Bracing!

GramMary said...

A houseful of little ones - must have been fun!

Red said...

You were a healthy lively looking bunch! I can imagine that these four scrambling around on the floor could run into some disagreements.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photo ! Relatives were weird back then lol ! Have a Happy First Day Of Spring !

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy the family photos and stories. I remember a classmate who bit!

Linda Reeder said...

That's a great photo, and I see that it evokes great memories, well, except for the biting!