Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wistful Wednesday :1930

Marie and Elmer Jacob Yliniemi

This photo was taken right around 1930.   80 years ago.   It is the oldest photograph I have of my Dad.   Also in the photo is his sister Marie.  Yesterday my Dad went to Fargo to translate for the Nurses, my Aunt Marie is only speaking Finn from her hospital bed.  I guess they both went to school speaking only Finn, so it comes natural to them.  My father was son number ten, his sister Marie was daughter number one and the eleventh child. Two more sons numbers twelve and thirteen would come along before daughter number two who is my grandparents final child number fourteen.

I cannot even begin to comprehend having so many children, how would you adequately care for them all..just the cooking alone would have been a never ending job.  My Grandmother seemed to  have it all together and everyone had their jobs and responsibilities within the family. My Dad often says “ My Mother would only tell you once, and you better be listening.”  Perhaps parents today should take a lesson:)

10 comments:

L. D. said...

It was said that the older daughters in a family of 10 of my dad's were assigned children to take care of all day every day. The babies kept coming and Grandma was busy keeping the food line going. My Dad was third youngest and said he could not remember ever being on his mother's lap.
That is such a sweet picture of your dad and his sister.

Patsy said...

Oh boy for the good old days when you knew where you stand in the family.
Patsy

DJan said...

Yes, L.D, that would work, but it wasn't until the 11th child than any girls came along! That means, to me, that she worked doubly hard to get everyone fed and clothed. That is quite a picture, Connie. Thanks for sharing it with me.

West Side of Straight said...

Wow - I can't imagine the hard work your grandma did! It's something that she lived as long as she did. Prayers for Aunt Marie.

The Retired One said...

My dad spoke and wrote Finn also...he came from a family of 12 kids (14 total with their parents)...all 9 boys were in the war and all came home..their parents must have known some powerful Finnish Lutheran saints. ha My dad was lucky enough to take a trip to Oulu and other part of Finland where some relatives still live and connect with them several years before my Dad passed away. Sure wish I had learned some Finn from him...I learned some swear words though. ha

Jennifer said...

Mom, I moved back to blogger...

Rae said...

Growing up, my neighbors had 13 children. Talk about a whirlwind of activity. The only way they survived was having the older kids take on responsibility for the younger ones. It was a hard life, but each and every one of those kids grew up to be responsible hard working adults.
I see your daughter is back on blogger. I can't wait to read her blog. I have followed her other one for the last year. She is a great blogger - just like her mom!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Glory, it would take a village to raise such a family. Everyone would definitely have to pitch in and help.

Enjoy this day!

Andrea said...

I also know a family of 13 kids--and every single one of them worked their way through college and are productive members of society. I'm sure a lot is learned about doing your part, responsibility, and hard work in a big family like that. Wish more parents would teach it today, too!

Rita said...

My grandfather came over from Sweden and when he was very ill before he died in the hospital he was singing songs in Swedish and only speaking Swedish. But there was no one to translate for him. His two sons didn't learn Swedish because he wanted them to be "American", so nobody knew what he was talking about. Auntie Marie is lucky to still ave your dad to be there for her--just like in the picture. :)