Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Coffin

Far Guy has been building me a coffin. He built it out in the garage, I told him what dimensions I needed and he came up with a design. I helped him seal the outside, but we are leaving the inside bare wood, because I like the smell of pine. He loaded it onto the wagon behind the three wheeler and brought it to the patio door. We put a strap on it to lift it up through the door, we really need some steps back there..after 12 years you would think we would have had steps on our list. But no, we just hoist stuff up through that door.
I tried out the coffin, I started to giggle and couldn't stop. It was comfy and I had plenty of room to roll around...getting back out was a hoot, but I made it without any assistance. Of course Far Guy could have just dumped me out. It is perfect.
My entire ten foot tall artificial Christmas tree now has a home, and there was room left over for all my Shiny Brite ornaments to be safely tucked away! I have my very own tree coffin.
Here are a few of the new/old boxes full of ornaments that I purchased at garage sales this summer.
We needed a tree topper, and I have been looking for a Shiny Brite one..one day Far Guy found this one, it is very pretty, he suggested I buy it just until I find a perfect Shiny Brite one.
I don't have very much room for many more Shiny Brites in the tree coffin, but I do have all that room in the closet where the tree was temporarily stored and the spot where the three totes were..so I still have a little room. So the quest for more Shiny Brites will continue:)

24 comments:

Paul C said...

LOL. I thought the box had a much sadder, utilitarian purpose.

Elizabeth said...

I see a double function...storage and a seating area! A cushion and some pillows and wala!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Whew, girl...ya had me goin' there awhile. The coffin makes the perfect storage spot for your giant tree and all your Shinin' Brites.

God bless and have a terrific day! :o)

Rudee said...

My girlfriend's brother made their father's real coffin. She knit the lining.

I like the purpose for this one much better.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Lol...I'm glad to learn it really isn't a coffin, and just a beautiful and functional storage chest fro all of your Christmas goodies.
What a unique idea, and he did a great job, it's beautiful!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Dear heaven! When I first started reading I thought I'd missed the post where you announced your terminal illness. Don't scare me like that!

LadyFi said...

Oh, for a minute there, I thought it was supposed to be YOUR coffin, you little minx...

Patsy said...

I was thinking back yard for ever so you will be near.LOL
patsy

Linda said...

And I thought you were planning to take it all with you;)

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea for the tree and special ornaments. I love it! Let the search for shiny brites continue!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am soooo jealous!!! A perfect place for your Christmas tree, and all those gorgeous old ornaments to boot! You should be sitting with a big ole smile on your face. On a different note, I love Halloween and that coffin would be just the thing...


Liz (aka Ninny)

Lynda said...

It is a beautiful tree coffin box! I, too, was a bit concerned when I started reading this post. Your husband is a very handy man to keep around the house.

Gail said...

Wonderful coffin!

My husband's shop teacher did build their own coffins and kept them in the living room until they were needed.

The Retired One said...

This post cracked me up...I thought you were serious there for a moment and it got me scared about your mental health to think you were planning your own coffin. LOL

Leah said...

Too funny! --- I was wonderin' what you were doing.... and then to keep it in the house and then you even tried it out! OMGosh...... sure happy that it is a nice protective home for your shiny brites!

RURAL said...

OK, you pulled me in also. I was thinking that you were serious, and those landlocked people sure are "different" but what do I know, right?

Good one!

Jen

Lanny said...

At first I thought you were serious and I thought it was a great idea, but I did want to point out that the sense of smell might be the first thing to go, but this is so very like you. Then I saw it was a storage box but then I noticed that if they scrunch your body up at one end you could be burried with your shiny brights! Just a thought...

DayPhoto said...

I fell like all the others! A good intertaining post this one!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Deanna said...

Yikes! You just about disappeared in that coffin. Perfect for your tree and ornaments. We have quite a few old ornaments, passed down through the years, but I've never thought about going to garage sales and collect them. Food for thought...

laurie said...

oh lord!

West Side of Straight said...

Too funny !

gayle said...

That was a great idea!! Can't wait to share it with my husband!

Pamela said...

I started feeling a little claustrophobic --- until I saw the Christmas stuff in there.

Rita said...

I think it would make a nice coffin, and seating bench, and tree & shiny parts storage. Multi-functional! ;)