Saturday, October 4, 2008

Round Robin Challenge: The End of Summer

Thicket Creeper September 2008


This End of Summer Challenge is a suggestion from Janet at Fond of Snape. You may also like to check out the Round Robin Challenge.

Here in Minnesota, we consider the end of summer Labor Day. All the kids start school the day after Labor Day. For me the end of summer is signaled by the brush starting to turn color in the woods. Some of the invaders that are present all summer take on new look in the fall. The Poison Ivy turns a yellow color and then brilliant red. The Virginia Creeper and Thicket Creeper take on the most wonderful red hues. Virginia Creeper or Parthenocissus quinquefolia has small disk shaped holdfasts. Thicket Creeper or Parthenocissus inserta (Often called P. vitacea) has twining tendrils to make its way up a tree. Both of these Creepers are native to Minnesota. Having lived in Minnesota most of my life..even if I didn't have a calendar..I would be able to tell that summer was coming to an end by watching the Creepers change color:)

12 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Connie :)

Very pretty. Nicely done. :)

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait til the leaves change here...

Anonymous said...

I love the red hues on this plant. I enjoyed reading a little bit about your area too. have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Connie, some beautiful color! Happy Round Robin Photo Challenge!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thanks for the comments Round Robins!:)

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Very pretty! And I love that you can identify all these different vines, and can tell the passing of the seasons by them.

Vodka Mom said...

I love spending time "around the country". Thank you so much! The pic. is fabulous.

alphawoman said...

Pretty!

Janet said...

oh I love this shot, so full of autumn! Well done!

Anonymous said...

We have poison ivy here also that turns brilliant red in the fall. Our leaves still haven't turned much, yet.
Plus it is still hot and dry here. 87 degrees yesterday.
When I was in school(a long time ago) we started school after labor day. Now all the schools here start the first week of August.
I love your photo.
Have a good day.
Pam

Kiva said...

It must be wonderful to experience the end of summer out in the woods. The photo is great and I love your description. Learn something every day. Thanks.

ChrisseasCorner said...

Luckily I don't catch poison ivy, but my daughter got itchy just seeing it! :-)
Very nice photo! Happy Robin Hoppin!