Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Another soggy day

Tuesday found us heading North to a funeral. ( 1 hour North is about as far from home as we go these days.)

Andy's Grandfather died last week.  He was a well loved Grandfather.

We sat at the back of the church.


It  rained and rained at the cemetery.

Andy's Dad (Bob) played Taps for his father in law who served in the Navy during the Korean War.

Andy's Maternal Grandparents were married for 66 years...his Grandmother will be lonely and doubly sad...her son died about six weeks ago.

We got to meet the foreign exchange student from Belgium that will be spending the school year with Andy, Jen and Adam.  Jonas is very tall and very thin...but was introduced to proper Minnesota Funeral food yesterday and seemed to like everything he ate.  We hear that Miss Miney and Little Elvis like him and he likes them too.  He said he is a little nervous to begin school next week and meet so many new people.  He speaks English quite well.  I told Jen that it is too bad he has to attend a funeral during his first week here...Jen said "That's life."

Far Side




15 comments:

linda m said...

My condolences to Andy and his family.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sorry you had to attend yet another funeral, and the weather was soggy. Glad the new exchange student seems nice though.

Sam I Am...... said...

So sorry for Andy and his family and especially his grandmother....she's had more than her share! I will say a prayer for her.

DJan said...

Sincere condolences to the remaining family members. What a lot to process over such a short period of time. :-(

Araignee said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. The photo of the trumpet player is very touching.

Leah said...

Sending our sympathy to Andy and his family.

Maebeme said...

My sympathies to Andy and his family. Young Jonas has certainly been immersed into his new world. I wish him luck as he starts his studies there.

Betsy said...

Oh my! I feel so for Andy's Grandmother. A double loss so close together. I will pray for her. I did think the photo of Andy's dad playing TAPS was very touching. My husband was the TAPS player for his division when he was in the service. He says it's an honor to play it.
The new student sounds like a nice young man. I'm sorry he had to experience a funeral his first week here, but as Jen said, "that's life."
Wishing you and Far Guy a good day and hopefully some news soon.
Blessings,
Betsy

Terry and Linda said...

Gosh! How hard it must be for Andy's grandmother.

Bonnie said...

I am sorry to hear about this loss. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for Andy's Grandmother.

Cynthia said...

Good to hear Jonas is fitting in. If Miss Miney and Little Elvis like him, he must be okay!

Granny Marigold said...

Condolences to Andy and his family. His grandmother must be incredibly sad to lose two precious people in such a short time.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Death of a grandparent can be so sad, so I am sending my condolences

Linda Reeder said...

Rain seems to make a funeral sadder. I bet there was Jello though.

Shirley said...

I always think rain is suitable for funerals. God's tears.
My condolences to the double loss for Andy's Grandmother.