Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Wistful Wednesday: Aunt Lila

My Aunt Lila died last week, she was 86 years old, her funeral is later this week.   She was married to my Dad’s brother Adolf.  Adolf died in 1998.  Lila joins him 20 years later.

Adolf and Lila Wedding Day

Adolf and Lila were married in June of 1953.  I think my Dad was the best man.

They lived in a tiny two room house near Bad Medicine Lake. My baby brother and I stayed with them one long weekend in the late 1950’s…it might have been 1958 or 1959….our parents were going to “The Cities” for something and we were not old enough to stay by ourselves.  Uncle Adolf tried to teach us some Finn…but we were poor learners.  They took us fishing in a boat out on Bad Medicine Lake, I believe this was the first time I was ever in a boat on a lake. I thought being in a boat on the lake was both magical and a little bit scary. I had been on lakes in the winter and was comfortable fishing on a frozen lake, or in the summer fishing safely from a dock near the shore..but a boat..that was a big deal.  I loved watching the water over the side of the boat.  I don’t remember if we caught fish or not..but I do remember that we had fun, and a ice cold soda and a candy bar. 

One summer my Uncle found a fawn without a mother or the game warden dropped it off for some rehabilitation, a small fence was made near the front of the house and the fawn was fed bottles of milk.  My Uncle was a farmer…he milked cows and put up crops…hay and maybe corn for his herd.  

Their property was heavily wooded interspersed with fields and that made for perfect deer hunting.  I hunted there a number of years…I had the fire and kept it going at my campsite…all my uncles and cousins would come by to warm up and put their sandwiches near the fire and sit down and talk.

In later years Adolf and Lila would adopt two children; a boy and a girl.  I remember the baby showers held in their new home… I think they adopted through Lutheran Social Services and in preparation for adoption they built a new home.

Aunt Lila

Aunt Lila had Rheumatoid Arthritis.  What a terrible crippling disease.  It crippled her body but her mind has been sharp up until the last couple of years.  She was one of my most faithful blog readers. My Uncle Adolf died from undiagnosed Celiac Sprue when he was 76 years old.

Aunt Lila has been in the nursing home a very long time…when you visited she was always happy to see you.  She got more company as other relatives were in “the home”…Aunt Violet (her sister), Aunt Marie, Aunt Senia, Aunt Grace…For years and years Aunt Lila’s roommate was Cousin Shirley.  Sadly all those relatives have died while in “the home.” As far as I know we have no one in “the home” any longer…Aunt Lila was the last of the bunch.  I think she was the first one in and the last one out.

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Pauline Persing said...

You've had a long sad year. Glad there were some happy times as well. Losing friends and family and pets hits hard. Tom and I have both lost best friends as well as our parents. One of the reasons I like living where there are four seasons is because the seasons remind me that life goes on. After winter, spring will come.

Sallysmom said...

What a lot of memories you have. I know you treasure them.

Phyllis Pritchard said...

My sympathy in your loss of Lila. She was a special lady, always happy. The Lord bless you with comfort in these sad days.

L. D. said...

It is a great read of the memories of your aunt. I looked up Bad Medicine Lake on the net and had a hard time locating anything I was familiar with. Bass Lake finally showed up as I zoomed out. There is a lot of Minnesota out there scattered with so many lakes and towns. First to arrive in the home and the last to leave is something.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I am so sorry. What a year for you all :-(.

Anonymous said...

Your writing about your aunt Lila and uncle Adolf shares just how much family means to you. How comforting for them it must have been to have so many relatives in “the home” at one time. People who they knew and loved right there with them. Thank you for sharing so much with us. This has been such a hard few weeks for you my friend. May God give you comfort and peace as you go through yet another funeral. I will be praying for you my dear. Blessings, Betsy

Sara said...

Some lovely memories of your aunt and uncle. Most of us can relate to having loved ones in "the home". She maybe felt like my MIL did her last couple of years and kept saying "God forgot me" every time another friend or relative passed away and left her behind.

Rita said...

First one in and last one out. That's something.

I remember the first feeling of being in a boat on a lake but I don't remember when or where I was or who I was with. I know I was pretty little. Loved looking out the side of the boat and seeing the tops of weeds that went down mysteriously into the depths, I remember. Scary.
I hope you are getting in some fun card making time. Stay warm. :)

Red said...

Lila experienced a large number of losses.

Val Ewing said...

What an amazing lady. My father in law had RA and it made him miserable yet he always had a joke and a smile for everyone.

Bonnie said...

I'm sorry for yet another loss. You two have really had some hard weeks recently. I enjoyed hearing about Aunt Lila. She and your Uncle Adolf sound like fun people. Until I got older I never realized life could go by this fast.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of Aunt Lila, my grandfather had Rheumatoid Arthritis so I know how horrible this disease is

Granny Marigold said...

Aunt Lila didn't have an easy life, with RA and also being a widow for 20 years. She sounds like a lovely person. May she rest in peace.

The Wykeham Observer said...

That was a neat memory of the boat and being taught some Finnish!

DJan said...

What a wonderful picture of a fine couple. It has been a hard time for you, and I'm glad to know that Aunt Lila was well taken care of during those two decades as a widow. You tell the best stories, Connie.

Debi said...

So sorry for the loss of your aunt. You have some beautiful memories of time with her.

Cynthia said...

What s fun time for chIldren and nice memory for you -- your first boat ride. Lila looks so happy in her wedding photo and her smile and sparkly eyes are still there in the home at the other end of her life. I'm sorry doe your em loss.

Sam I Am...... said...

What kind gentle people live up your way....at least your family. They were such a cute couple and you can still see that young girl in her face. I have RA but I was very fortunate to get in on the new drugs that prevent the joint damage but they were very expensive. I am old and I know it because I long for "the good old days" a lot!
I am sorry for all your losses lately.