Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Wistful Wednesday: Far Guy’s Sister

Far Guy has one living sibling his older sister, he had twin siblings a brother and a sister who lived only a short time after their birth.  So technically he was born fourth….the baby of the family.  His parents were both 35 years old when he was born.

G and Jan 1982 (2) 

Far Guy and his sister…this photo was taken in 1982…so that was 36 years ago.  She had just nudged him with her shoulder.  I took this photo  at their parents home in Park Rapids Minnesota.  They are sitting on their father’s favorite red couch.  The couch was long enough that someone six feet tall could sleep there.  Black velvet pillows were on each end.  That wall paper was pretty wild…the red design was flocked. In the wintertime both of our grirls could easily sleep on the couch…their grandmother would make the couch up with a sheet and blankets with one little girl on each end.

Far Guy talks to his sister via Facetime a couple of times a week.  She lives in Indiana and is a retired third grade teacher. 

Blog Signature

 

15 comments:

Pauline Persing said...

Old photos and Facebook...I like them both.

DJan said...

I knew it was an old picture from her hair. I'm glad he is able to talk with her weekly via FaceTime. I will be talking with my sister today that way. :-)

Leah said...

That is a great picture, that is wonderful that they stay in touch so often! Those long couches must have been the "thing" - mom and dad had a black/white plaid looking one that took up one entire wall in the livingroom :)

marlu said...

Great picture. I remember flocked wall paper!

The Feminine Energy said...

How wonderful that they still keep in touch. My one brother is gone (RIP) and my other brother I never see, even though we live in the same town. He turned 80 years old today. Lovingly, Andrea xoxo

Rita said...

Flocked wallpaper was popular back then. I had forgotten.
Isn't technology great! Kids today aren't ever going to grasp a time when you only had letters and very expensive long distance calls to keep in touch when people moved away. Sometimes even a few miles would pop a person into the long distance category. Now we can talk freely on a cell phone or even do video calls by multiple means. Just wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember those couches and that kind of wallpaper! My, how decorating trends have changed! How wonderful that they keep in close touch with each other. Family ties are very important. I’m keeping you and Far Guy in my prayers. Blessings, Betsy

Red said...

1982 certainly had different hairstyles.

Granny Marigold said...

We had that flocked wallpaper in black instead of red in our ensuite bathroom in the house we lived in over 40 years ago!

Sara said...

They're so smart to talk a couple of times a week. I have no siblings and my parents have been gone for 30 years, so I get very frustrated that my husband doesn't keep in better touch with his 3 siblings. He's wasting valuable time!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

My father is the second eldest out of his siblings but they all look older then him he has a good relationship with most of then he has 3 sisters & 2 brothers

Sam I Am...... said...

I remember the age of the "flocked" wallpaper..lol! My parents had some. What a great picture of brother and sister. Is Facetime on Facebook? I need to look you up!
So sad about the twins....that must have been hard on Gene's parents at the time.

Henny Penny said...

Things have sure changed since the 80's. Dan and I were dating in 1982, and he wore a cowboy hat back then. That's a good picture of Far Guy and his sister.

L. D. said...

I lost a sister after I was born. The combination of many things but the blood factors was the main problem. My two brothers are seven and nine years older than me. We are moving into a stage of have one of them needing some closer brotherly care. Both really don’t have great health. I am trying to call more often but the time zones make it hard for me to call.

The Wykeham Observer said...

Good to have those older pictures. I don't know, but it seems folks "dolled up" a little more back then and maybe put their best foot forward at family gatherings. I kinda miss that.