Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wistful Wednesday : 1940

Grandpa, and Grandma H with their four sons and a won't hold still even for a photo grandson. It seems that Grandpa has his hands full! Far Guys Dad is on the far right in this photo. Grandma is surrounded by "her boys" and it wasn't til a few years later in 1945 that she got some granddaughters.

The littlest, squirmy not wanting to be held boy, by the name of Jack is one of my blog readers. He was born in 1938..so my best guess to date this photo is 1940.

Uncle Jimmy is in uniform in this photo, he was a member of The Army National Guard here in Minnesota. Often some of these family photographs are taken on "occasions" ..I am wondering what the occasion was.. it looks like an early spring photograph. Was Uncle Jimmy just back from some kind of training? Was it Easter Sunday? I guess that's why I call these entries Wistful Wednesday:)

10 comments:

DayPhoto said...

I love looking at old photos. You always inspire me to get mine out and maybe post some, but then the day gets in the way, and I forget. So for now I will enjoy yours.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I like looking at old photos too. You are right, it does seem like the old pictures were always made around an "occasion".
thanks for sharing it.
Pam

The Retired One said...

I love and collect old photos. I especially love the ones of the children with their big bows in their hair, or the ones of babies in old carriages.
They are so neat!

Anonymous said...

I always admire your photos. Grandpa's hat is just like the ones my daddy always wore!

Debbie said...

Hey I love these old photos you put in here! It reminds me I have a great one i got from my cousin...(her blog is islandparadise) of my mother and a bunch of guys that is really cool. I will share that some time. Old photos always keep you guessing...that's why it is always a good idea to write on the back of them but people rarely do!

Jeanne Estridge said...

You're so fortunate to have such a great photo collection.

Julia said...

great photo..nice to look back and see how they were in them days..
Julia ♥

Andrea said...

Your Wistful Wednesdays are one of my favorite posts each week! Always look forward to them!! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the photo and the squirming child.

MAPAGE said...

Don't forget that to get pictures "made" it cost a lot of money, so they were taken only for special events. My favorites are black and white photos taken beside the family car with the vacation spot almost completely obscured by it!