Sunday, April 26, 2009

Swan Pond : Sven and Sophie

Yes, there are swans at Swan Pond, Trumpeter Swans. I have named the pair Sven and Sophie. Since Swan Pond is just up the road a piece we will try to get there once a week to keep an eye on them. The cob (Sven) and the pen (Sophie) mate for life. They can live for 20 to 30 years. The Swans we have observed are not nest building yet. They may be using an old nest on top of a beaver lodge that is way out in the slough. When the nest building commences Sven is the day laborer and Sophie is the actual builder. He brings Sophie the raw materials and she does all the placement...after all she will sit on that nest for many days and it must be just right. When it is perfect she will lay one egg every other day until she has five to nine eggs. She will leave the nest only to feed, bathe, and preen. She will cover the nest when she leaves, and Sven will stand guard in or on the nest. Nests are usually quite large..and can be up to six feet across. The eggs will hatch in about 33 days.
Sophie

Sven is just a little larger than Sophie, he also spends much of his time with his head underwater eating vegetation. He is really hard to photograph. Sophie eats also..but not nearly as much as Sven..
Swan Pond is a very relaxing place to visit. I wish there was no traffic, about the time you are enjoying the silence and just listening to the sounds of the pond..a big ole truck comes roaring down the road. I also have to be very careful where I step, as the ditch is really steep, and the culvert is really flowing..if I end up down here..
I will be taking a little trip under the highway, and end up in the river..and possibly unhappy. I am wondering if there is some type of a screen or grate that prevents entrance into that culvert..maybe I should just wear a rope around my neck, tie it to the car and hope that Far Guy doesn't drive away without me... :)
Photos: Top two with the Canon, the last one with the now busted HP camera.

11 comments:

Mary said...

Are swans in the wild aggressive? There were swans in a park lake near my grandparents when I was very young and they would chase us away. Yours have very charming names. As for the culvert, if it had a grate, wouldn't it plug up with trash?

flydragon said...

Great info about the swans. I had no idea their nest was that large, or that she layed that many eggs!!
Uhmmmm, about the rope around your neck. I'm thinking around the waist instead just in case farguy does decide to try to drive away:)

Anonymous said...

Love the swans. Looks like the snow has gone again...

dad and lilly said...

Have just started my blog about a month ago and not sure how interesting it is. Mr. Bob and I have been married for 17 years.We each have four daughters who are out on their own so our home is never without female company. We live in the city now but are previously from a small town where we felt much more comfortable. I love to crochet, read and cook. We both love to take rides in the country to see the wildlife and beautiful roadside flowers. Have seen many young turkeys recently. I don't get out as much as I would like to as I am partially disabled. I walk with a walker and am on oxygen 24/7. But try not to let those things stop me from doing things I love to do. Hope to hear from you as your trumpet swans sounds like it would be very interesting to watch. Be careful of that rope around your neck. Lilly

hayseed said...

I'm most impressed with your swan knowledge-very informative. And the rope idea? not so good! A pond is on my wish list (which seems to be getting longer every year)...would love to enjoy the wildlife it would attract.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised to by how large the nest is and by the Swans lifespan. Very interesting. That is a shame about the traffic noise. It seems so serene in the photos.

L. D. said...

While attending college at ISU, I would watch the two swans hatch young ones next to the campus pond, among the campus crowds and street traffic. They would keep the two wintered somewhere so they wouldn't loose them during a migration accident. It always amazed me how two eloquent creatures could create such an ugly stick filled nest. I appreciate you keeping updated on these two.

Far Guy said...

The rope was my idea.

Debbie said...

Your stories are so interesting. Isn't it nice that they mate for life and help each other with the nesting and young. Great photos and the canon takes good pictures but I also liked the clarity of the broken HP. What do you think of the difference? I have an award waiting for you on my blog so go and grab it! You deserve it girl!

Pamela said...

that culvert is darn scary. I wonder if the soon to be "hatched" babies are threatened by that?

Emma Rose said...

We never knew all that stuff about swans. Very interesting! The photos are beautiful and the culvert is awesome. We are looking forward to watching the swan family progress!