Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Community Coming Together


Our Great Niece Aubrey was born in May of 2008 with a complete bilateral cleft lip and palate, she has had two surgeries so far. The first last September, the second in February..she will have many more surgeries. So far it is nothing short of a miracle..what the surgery has accomplished.

Aubrey April 05, 2009


Living in a very small community sometimes has it's advantages. In a few weeks the community will surround this little munchkin with financial support. The local Lions Club is hosting a fund raising dinner, six local Chefs ( real honest to goodness World Class Chefs..from a little known private corporate retreat here in the boonies..where people get flown in and out by private jets) and my Mom and my Aunt are preparing the dinner. Thank goodness I am not needed in the kitchen. Attendance would be down if the word got out that I was in the kitchen. Far Side cooking would draw a few curious spectators but not many willing participants... and the Fire Department would have to go on standby. So I am staying OUT of the kitchen. The cooking is best left to people who know what they are doing.

I have been in charge of the silent auction..it is amazing the phone calls and email messages I am getting as the fund raiser approaches. People are pulling together. Some of them have been dropping off their donations for the silent auction, many are beautiful handmade treasures. There are some wonderful quilts! Far Guy has been so excited..some tools were donated..he wants them all. I told him to "Bring the checkbook." We hope for a day without snow, and lots of hungry people:)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

What a precious little girl! And what a wonderful community she has backing her. Just goes to show there are still some really good people out there.;D

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to read your post. Aubrey is a beautiful girl and obviously loved very much. I wish you all great success for this cause. I pray you will have perfect weather and starving crowds! God bless little Aubrey.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Oh, what a beautiful baby. I'm glad the community is so responsive and wonderful. If there is anything I can do to help in any way, please let me know. Can we bid on auction items over the internet?

Martha said...

What a gorgeous baby and what a great community!

Becca's Dirt said...

What a sweet looking baby girl. She looks perfect. Her lip is hardly noticable. I understand how it can be with a child experiencing all this stuff. My grandson was born with a condition that limits him and will limit his size. He has been on feeding tube since birth and has experienced probably 15-20 surgeries already. Ethan is 4-1/2 and is not expected to live into adulthood.

I hope you have a wonderful day and super fundraiser. Aubrey is so pretty.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Mountain Woman, I am sorry, I can't figure out a way to auction items on the internet. But it is an intersting thought! You are ever so kind:)

I did this post, because the community coming together is so good to see, times are tough all over, yet I am getting phone calls from little old ladies with doilies and baby blankets wanting to donate them. It is refreshing to me, and uplifting to know that so many people care! Sometimes we only dwell on the negatives, so I figured it was time to think positively!

flydragon said...

What a little sweetheart!! As are you and farguy, your family and the entire community that comes together to help out a child! Life doesn't get any better than that!!

Julia said...

She's a beautiful perfect little girl...Dr's are amazing, we have a family member who had the same thing...now she is a beautiful young teenager!
Julia ♥

Lanny said...

She will be blessed all her life with community like that. What a blessing to her family.

Jewel said...

cute baby girl....I wish I could come and buy a quilt

RURAL said...

Such a wonderful coming together of community. I love how everyone is helping out for her. She is absolutely gorgeous, adorable, and sweet.

Have a great day, and a great fundraiser.

Jen

Vodka Mom said...

That is incredible. She is adorable, of course!!!

Jeanne Estridge said...

This is heart-warming!

My daughter's middle name is Aubrey....

L. D. said...

I have great hope for this country when I hear of the kindness of a community like this. My cousin was born in the 40's with this condition and his repair and the solution for his palette were so undeveloped back then. I am so happy for this little girl that she can receive such great treatment.

Michelle said...

What a sweetie! I hope the fund raiser far exceeds anyone's expectations!