Saturday, April 11, 2009

First Robins of Spring

Last evening while Far Guy was cooking another one of his gourmet meals and Chance was having a nap under the table, I glanced out the kitchen window. Low and behold.. Robins..the first ones I have seen this spring. They were poking around in my Day-lilies. I grabbed the camera and took a photo through the window.It is not the greatest quality photo but it is proof that at 6:38 PM .. I saw the first Robin! Far Guy said,"Who ya gonna call?" Well, that is quite obvious my Sister-In-Law! ( Mrs. She is always first seeing a Robin, sitting on her deck with my number on speed dial, just waiting to giggle and holler "I saw a Robin!) .. BUT I wanted to bask in my bird spotting skills for awhile first. Good thing too..when I finally did call her she said "I saw one earlier in the evening" ..we compared times.. and she was first again..she beat me by over an hour.

At least this year we got to see them on the same day. Last year her first Robin sighting was on April 05..mine was not until April 19. Two whole weeks separated us last year..this year mere hours.. next year is anyone's game!

I always try to keep track from year to year..what happens when. Keeping track of such things is called Phenology. The first robin, the first deer tick, the first Loons, this year I hope to add the first spring peepers to the list.. the first evening you go outside and the night air is filled with their mating calls..I wonder what they are really saying?? "It has been a long spring, you are beautiful..wanna fool around?" OR "Tired, headache, is that all you ever think about..you should have been a toad instead of a frog." Ah..the possibilities are endless:)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! I can't believe she beat your sighting by hours - are you sure?????
By the way, I can't wait to see your daylilies.

Anonymous said...

The first robin! Brillliant... so spring is finally on its way.

flydragon said...

Down here (as if I live in Australia) the Robin doesn't count as bringing in spring since sometimes they stick around here all winter. Here it's the Red Wing Blackbird. And I haven't seen one yet. But my sister and I always try to be the first when it comes to hummingbirds and orioles. She usually wins the hummer, but I usually win the oriole.

Anonymous said...

WooHoo!!! Finally eh? I saw my first crocus this morning.

Feelin' the wind! said...

I think that is what I miss about the 4 seasons, the spotting of first, and changes that happen more often than down here. Our first are of green gras rather than brown, and maybe a snow fall! Miss you guys. Give Far Guy a hug for me!!

Jeanne Estridge said...

Ooh, do you have loons where you live? I think they are the most fascinating birds. In fact, I even relax my usual "no birds" policy for them.

Girl Tornado said...

She fibbed. You told her what time you saw the robin, and she automatically backed her sighting up a few hours to beat you... LOL.

Laughed out loud about the peepers and what they might be saying...you're so funny sometimes! :)

I feel like it's been FOREVER since I've read everyone's blog (only about 5 days?).... goodness, you even changed your header image. I love it too. Gorgeous.

Have a lovely Easter tomorrow!

Emma Rose said...

Happy Easter my friend! I've been chasing Robins for about a month now. Darn birds think they own the place! Give Chance my love.

Emma Rose

RURAL said...

Glad to hear that you were not tempted to fib and say that you saw the Robin earlier. LOL.

Jen

Happy Easter.

Pamela said...

I reported the first Swallow to Audubon this spring and I was SOOO excited. Now I'm watching for my first hummingbird to appear. I have the nectar out just waiting!!!

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Your Robins are LATE!!
But then again, mine were this year...ages ago...and I think mine are suing the Audubon society for misrepresentation! Almost 3 months since their arrival before Spring actually arrived!