Friday, April 24, 2009

I have gone Loony AGAIN!

We are very fortunate here in Minnesota to have an individual by the name of Larry Backlund who has a Loon nesting platform near his dock on a small lake in Minnesota. This is a project that is near and dear to Larry's big ole Loony heart.

The Live Cam is up and running, I have a link to it on my sidebar...on the left.. right above My Weather.This year Minnesota Bound ( The web site that hosts the Live Loon Cam) has added some extra features. There is a Loon Blog written by Larry, and a Loon Chat Room, It is my understanding that there is also a spot in the chat room for live chat. I left comments on both Larry's Blog and the Chat Room last evening..just type in your name.. and leave a comment if you wish.

Larry gives up the use of his lake shore property so that the Loons have a safe place to nest, he built a platform and supplies it with cat tails and weeds. The Technical Crew comes in and sets up the Cam and all it's various connections. After the Loons have hatched their young they will leave the nest, and Larry can have his lake shore back again.. he follows the Loons and their activity on the lake very closely.

Once the eggs have been laid the Loons will never leave the nest for very long. They trade spots day and night, wind and rain..Loons are very devoted to their eggs.

Last year, my grandsons were here when we watched the first chick go for his first swim. It was a wonderful sharing experience. I hope you enjoy this years Loon Experience as much as I will :)

Here is what I wrote last May 5, 2008:
I have been doing some reading about Common Loons (Gavia immer) ..I just love those scientific names! Imagine yourself a Male Loon...you have had a foot loose, fancy free winter in the south. One day something says fly north...something draws you to the nesting site you had last year. Finally the ice is out and you use your magical calls to establish your territory. Then you wait for your mate, when she finally shows up..you are really happy to see her.. "Hiya Toots"...lets get on with the laying of the eggs! You are both tireless parents, taking turns on the nest..then spending most of the summer rearing and protecting the chicks. One day you say, "Time to go junior or juniorette...hope you have a good loony life." You and your mate take off to gather with friends, and head south. You might see your mate over the winter, you might not, you may be 100 to 1,000 miles apart.."See ya at the lake in the spring Toots."Such is the life of a Loon..fascinating creatures!

9 comments:

flydragon said...

How neat is that!! I can't wait to see what the loony cam captures.

DayPhoto said...

I love the photos of Chance chasing ball! I can hardly wait for the loney cam and the new birds.

Oh, what a fun thing to see a new world through blogging.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

What a great experience for you and your grandsons last year.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Enjoy the loons, you loon! ;-)

lilly said...

Just started my blog about a month ago and am definitely on the far side of 50 but so far have enjoyed myslef doing this. Do keep on touch with Mildred from Nalley Valley. What a beautiful person. Hopefully you respond as I am disabled and do not get out a lot. Lilly(Eveyn)

Mary said...

I am tempted quite often to let go and just go loony. Seriously, you have so many neat things there.

Unknown said...

I'm anxious to check out this loon cam! I love the sound of them. It is an amazing sound.
Cute post at the end. Had me giggling the whole way through!

Debbie said...

We have Loons here in Maine too and we LOVE them! Their cry is just so haunting. There is a place north of us called Cry Of The Loon. It sells anything and everything Looney! What a great idea to have a loon cam. I will check it out later on when I have caught up with all you wonderful blog friends.

Pamela said...

I saw my first loons this year -- an unusual sighting on some of the wetlands behind McNary Dam on the Columbia River. The area gets visits by most of the water fowl that migrate to the far north (Alaska & Canada)

It was very exciting for me -- but I had to look thru my binoculars.

My mama said that when she gave birth to my brother Tom -- in a cabin on a lake north of Seattle -- that there were loons calling.