Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

It is Good Friday, as a child I never could figure out why it was called "Good" as an adult I still have a hard time wrapping my mind completely around the "Good" concept. Good for us Christians, not so great for Jesus who suffered on the cross.

I have been reading Rabindranath Tagore during Lent, a translation called The Gardener. I have been sharing this wonderful book with Far Guy.. I read poetry to him while he cooks..it may seem a bit strange to you that I chose a poet from India to read during Lent. However I truly enjoy Tagore, he makes me think...

Since I believe that Lent is a time for inward reflection..but outward reaction. I will share with you the last entry.

Who are you, reader, reading my poems an hundred years hence?
I cannot send you one single flower from this wealth of spring, one single streak of gold from yonder clouds.
Open your doors and look abroad.
From your blossoming garden gather fragrant memories of the vanished flowers of years before.
In the joy of your heart may you feel the living joy that sang one spring morning, sending its glad voice across an hundred years.

So today I will send my readers one single flower ( from last summer) from my wild rose bush, with some buds not yet unfurled..and some remnants of spent blooms. I hope you are gathering some fragrant memories of your own:)


10 comments:

The Retired One said...

How wonderful!
(Both the poem and the flower photo!)
I really needed that....we live WAY up north where the tulips are just peeking out a little from the frozen ground!
Happy Easter to you! The Retirement Chronicles

flydragon said...

Excellent entry that you shared with us! You're right...he does make you think.

Julia said...

Thank you Connie..
it does make you think!
Julia ♥

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the poem and the sweet flower Connie.

L. D. said...

Your wild rose looks like our State Flower. I planted it a few years back and it is taking over my backyard. I will photograph later and compare. Very nice photo..

Bren Haas said...

Wonderful selection of flowers - Happy Easter to you dear Garden Friend! It is always a blessing to visit your page.

Emma Rose said...

Beautiful photo. Have a Happy Easter and give Chance a big hug for me.

Emma Rose

Lucy Corrander said...

Thank you, Far Side.

And may you and Far Guy have a very Happy Easter on Sunday.

Lucy

Jeanne Estridge said...

This is lovely, Connie. Thanks so much for the picture and the inspirational words.

Pamela said...

sniff sniff... and I closed my eyes and it's perfume tantalized my memory