Thursday, August 5, 2021

A Bible

 My Cousin Leann gave me a Bible that she found when going through her Mom's belongings... it belonged to my Uncle Hugo. 


Uncle Hugo's name is in the front cover and his Honorable Discharge Papers are inside along with an  Itasca Mantrap membership paper.  I scanned the discharge papers and put them up at Find A Grave. 

I also showed the Bible and papers to my Dad.

My Uncle had no children of his own.  However he and my Aunt  Mia (she was married before)  raised a grandson.  It was a really sad situation...there was a tragic death in the family from which the parents never recovered enough to care for a baby.  So he was raised by his Grandparents who he viewed as his Mother and Father.  They loved him very much.  

Since the grandson has an unusual name I was able to locate him.  I found his email and his home address.  When the email went unanswered I sent a letter.  Soon after that we were able to connect. 


The Bible is in Finnish. 

As it turns out he is a very successful Law Enforcement Officer, has four children and two grandchildren. 

So it all has a good ending...the Bible was mailed on Monday.   

For some reason the Bible sitting on my desk really bothered me...I was so happy to mail it...it was like something was telling me to hurry along! 

Far Side

26 comments:

Val Ewing said...

That is so amazing. You certainly are a wonder.

Sallysmom said...

Connie, what is Hugo's last name? I would like to look at his FAG.

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful story! It’s great to know this piece of family history is finding its way to someone who will treasure it.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good research! It's good to find the owners.
I like the tomatoes, I'm growing cherry tomatoes on my front deck!

DJan said...

Very interesting story. I'm glad it all turned out so well.

Pauline Persing said...

Wonderful that you found the person who should have the Bible and that he now has it.

Sara said...

How wonderful that you were able to connect with the grandson and get the Bible to him. Hopefully his family will treasure it. I miss reading your Full Circle posts on old photos, but this is just like that. The Bible has come Full Circle.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yliniemi

Miss Merry said...

Thank you so much for restoring this family bible to it's family. I am sure that they appreciate your efforts greatly.

Ed said...

I have ended up with probably a dozen bibles I have inherited over the years. I wish I could pass them along but I'm probably the closest living relative which is why I have them. Right now they are in a cardboard box but I really need a better way to preserve them.

Terry and Linda said...

You are a good soul.

Rita said...

So nice to hear this bible story. :)

Bonnie said...

This is a beautiful story! It's like your were being guided to get the Bible home.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

There are no coincidences - the Bible found it’s way to you because you would find a way to return it to his grandson. Bless you for acting on the “nudge” you felt.

L. D. said...

It is nice that the Bible was able to go to the grandson. Sometime people who have had different kinds of situations do grow up, marry, and have lots of kids. I have a bible from Norway that I bought at a sale, 1800s. It is in that language and all that spoke the the language from my late wife's side are all gone.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's wonderful!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

When we cleanned out my parents house we found 6 Bibles and my parents were not religious

Linda Reeder said...

Good for you for persisting and finding that Bible's family. That's a feel good story.

Granny Marigold said...

Great work finding the grandson and mailing him his father's Bible.
My sister found my Dad's Bible at a thrift store. Needless to say she bought it and treasures it. Why he sent donated it we'll never know.

Karen said...

I found my great grandfathers Bible among a bunch of crap after my mother passed. It is in very bad shape, the leather cover is peeling, etc. Still, it's the Bible I take into hand when I feel the need. My great grandfather immigrated to Canada from the Orkney Is. in Scotland as a teenagers. He had a rough time of it when he first arrived so I'm sure this old Bible spent a lot of time in his hands.

diane in northern wis said...

What a great thing you did, finding that Grandson. Something or somebody was telling you to hurry along! What a beautiful old Bible. Do you speak Finnish? Could you read that Bible? What a treasure. You did a good thing, Connie! Good for you!

aurora said...

So interesting! You are good at investigating/history. Your cousin knew who would do right by this unique family treasure.

Far Side of Fifty said...

No, I know a few words that is all.

Maebeme said...

It was wonderful you were able to reconnect the book with your Uncle's grandson. Finding a bit of family history is a neat thing.

Gemma's person said...

Ditto all the above sentiments.

Jacqi Stevens said...

How wonderful that you were able to reconnect, and that you were able to send him that Bible. So meaningful!