Monday, March 15, 2021

All about the drawers

 I finished the 17th drawer yesterday...so glad to be done with them.  I have five cabinets yet to clean and the fridge....and everything on the open shelves must be washed and put back in place...that is a day project by itself....so I can see the end but I am not there yet!

Far Guy built most of the drawers and cabinets.  The fellow who made the  large pantry with drawers got so busy building cabinets that he showed Far Guy how to build them...we spent most of one summer building cabinets and drawers.   

I love drawers...so much easier to clean.  The drawers are very large and well built! The drawer and door pulls are made from black walnut. 


Spices, paper products, storage containers on the left, on the right silverware and a kitchen utensil drawer. 


Kitchen towels, table top decorations, canning stuff, junk drawer, strainers and potatoes, Chance's drawer, potholders and bread boards, bread pans and casserole dishes, Corning ware on the left.  Then on the right a full set of dishes, cookie sheets and roasting pans, cast iron fry pan along with misc fry pans and pots with covers. 

Yes we still have a drawer for Chance...he used to lead people there.  We still have some collars a couple of leather leashes, various brushes, a number of new balls, a water dish and a food dish and a jar of food.  Kinda sad to clean that one out...everything was put back in.  Little Elvis might need a snack some day..or a good brushing...the water dish goes outside come summer...used to be for Odda now it will be for Baxter and Little Elvis when he visits.

I like drawers, no losing stuff way in the back or getting on your hands and knees to retrieve something! 

I dislike the time change...not sure why we do it anymore.  Here in Minnesota it is too cold to sit out and enjoy an extended evening.

Far Side

26 comments:

linda m said...

You have some beautiful drawers. I love drawers and I surely don't have enough of them. I keep hop[ing that TPTB decide to leave the "time changing" alone after this. Just keep the same "time" yer round. It messes me up too much.

Lea said...

Beautiful kitchen!

Val Ewing said...

What a beautiful place! I love it! Our lay out is similar to this with a black stove in the same place.
Wow. Love it.

Pauline Persing said...

Beautiful drawers. I think I must have been living on Daylight Savings Time all year around.

aurora said...

Beautiful wood work and even more special that Far Guy crafted them. Your house is going to sparkle! Chance would want you to consider having another lucky dog join your family. No doubt you've already considered it. I more than get all the things that come with ownership, especially letting them go. No doubt your fluffy visitors will enjoy Chance's drawer, and your love!!

Granny_J said...

That is my dream kitchen. I only have a total of three drawers built into my cabinets. I have two drawers in a small cabinet we bought for extra storage. As you say, it is much easier to clean drawers than cabinets with doors.

Sara said...

Beautiful cabinets! It's the wood - such gorgeous warm color and grain to the wood. That would be a lovely kitchen for cooking. I had pretty hickory cabinets in our previous house. Congrats on making such big progress on that spring cleaning!

Miss Merry said...

When we remodeled our tiny kitchen, I went with almost all bottom drawers, too. I was getting too old to sit on the floor and pull everything out to get to the back of the cupboard! The only bottom cupboard is a pull out for my pots and pans with metal things that hold the lids upright on the sides. The other slick cupboard we added was the one on top of the refrigerator. We ran the cupboards up to the ceiling for an extra shelf, but the frig one has dividers so I can store my cookie sheets, pizza pans and muffin tins upright.

Martha said...

Your drawers and cabinets are gorgeous! Sounds like you are making good progress, keep up the good work :)

Maebeme said...

I love the drawers in my island - you are correct, they are so much easier than locating items in the back of cupboards. I have two lazy Susan's in the corner cabinets and cleaning them is such a pain.

I really like the natural wood of your cabinets. They look very sturdy!

We don't change our time here in Saskatchewan, we went to CST in 1966 and never looked back. I'm grateful! Take care, stay well.

DJan said...

You do have a beautiful kitchen, and I was so touched that Chance still has his own drawer.

Bonnie said...

I love your kitchen and all those drawers! I would much rather have drawers than cabinets on the bottom cabinets. I bet it was a real sense of accomplishment to build those yourself!

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Cool looking drawers! So Far Guy made them? The look well built and unique to the kitchen. I like unique cabinetry. It adds a personal touch to the home you live in. (I also used to love working with wood. Used to...being the key word there.)

Cynthia said...

I love those walnut pulls. You did a wonderful job on the cabinets and drawers. They’re beautiful.

Gemma's person said...

Drawers, a very good idea.
Your cabinets are beautiful.

Granny Marigold said...

Now I can visualize your kitchen and see some of those 17 drawers. Thanks so much for today's post. Here's something funny. I had never counted just how many drawers I had. Well, I just went down and did so. Turns out I have no less than 16.

Laurel Wood said...

I love your drawers. I hope I am moving for the last time and it gets harder each time to retrieve things from hard to reach cabinets. I still have special toys that belonged to my former pets. I hate cleaning the frig. You are making good progress. I dislike the time change and it seems my current pets are hungry all day!!! Hope you get a warm up soon and can enjoy some sunshine.

Betsy said...

I love the drawers. It's really popular in newer homes and I think it's a smart idea for exactly the reasons you said.
I have Chloe's drawer here in the RV that her leash, bowl, treats, "walking bags", brush, etc. is in. I don't plan to clean it out anytime soon. Gosh it hurts so much to see her things. Thank you for the beautiful card you sent. It touched both of our hearts. I know you understand how we're grieving for her.
Good luck tomorrow on your shot. I'll be thinking of you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Rita said...

Those deep drawers are marvelous! So much easier than trying to dig out things from the back of shelves. Brilliant!
I hope they vote to quit DST!!

L. D. said...

I like your kitchen counters. I want to switch ours out to something better. I like all the wood. Some people like to paint over the wood. Not me.

Linda Reeder said...

Your kitchen drawer system is wonderful!
I still have a few things from our Josy Cat too. Charlie the Borrowed cat uses her dish. I have a few toy mice here and there in her favorite hiding places. Fond memories and a little sad too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes and I helped!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

What lovely drawers

Jacqi Stevens said...

I was surprised to see you still have a drawer for Chance, but it makes sense, since you have so many canine visitors. Nice to have a way to make them feel at home, too.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I love, love, love that Chance still has a drawer.

Victoria Zigler said...

Glad you have all those drawers sorted.