Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Wistful Wednesday:Old Tractor

Far Guy inherited his Paternal Grandmother's Garden Tractor. ( It was most likely purchased from Howard Sexton in an unknown to us year)  It is a 1941 Case VC.  Uncle Archie gave it to Far Guy with the understanding that we should try and pass it on to a relative.  We offered it to Cousin John a few years ago, he never came to get it.  Recently Far Guy talked with Cousin Jack and the tractor has found a home with Cousin Katie and her husband. 

We got the tractor in 1986 or 1987 when we moved to the resort.   It was a stump puller, wood hauler...when Far Guy was felling trees in the woods I would crouch down by the tires  in case a tree came the wrong way.  I learned to drive it...we drug the driveway with a bedspring to level out the road after a rain. We used it to put the fishing docks in and out of the lake...we had four docks that had to come out in the fall and into the lake in the spring.  We hooked up a screw type woodsplitter up to the back of the tractor and split mountains of wood.  It was a real work horse for us.  Far Guy and his Dad worked on restoring it, it gave them both something to tinker with.

We put it in storage for a few years and out it came to haul sand bags around after the Flood of 1997.   The trip to Harwood North Dakota was harrowing...we transported it on a car trailer and tied it down but it was still an accident waiting to happen that thankfully didn't happen.

Then it went back to storage...another 95 mile trailer ride that was exciting.

Finally Far Guy drove it up the road to where we live now.  It pulled stumps out, it has hauled firewood and brush.   Grandchildren sat on the seat and pretended to be farming. As I recall it was a really good babysitter for Adam!  I have a photo of Adam someplace...I could not find it.
2008 the Grandgirls;  Paige, Maddie and Savannah

Now it is time for it to go to a new home...after 34 years it is about time.  The original owners manual will accompany the tractor.
Here it is out in the yard ready to be loaded on a trailer.

Far Side

30 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

That brings back memories. I bought a Case tractor (old one) that came with the original book but I never learned to drive it. The ex and the boys did and we used it around the farm for many chores. It was a 40's model too with the small front wheels that made them prone to tip which I didn't know at the time or I wouldn't have bought it but thank goodness no one ever got hurt. I sold it when I left to a guy that restored and collected old tractors. I wonder if I have any pictures? Brings back lots of memories doesn't it. Glad it is going to a good home! Cute picture of the grands on it.

Araignee said...

What a beauty! I would have cried. I get so attached to things like that. My tagless, broken down Mini Cooper sits in the driveway because I can't afford to fix her but I can't give her up yet. Araignee

Val Ewing said...

I have a couple of old Allis tractors on the property. My neighbor has an old tractor. Seems our guys can't seem to let go of their old machinery as it appeals to their hearts!
Old tractors, they are always useful!
I have someone who wants to buy the bigger Allis eventually. He restores tractors, so I will wait and let him purchase it one day!

Wildflower Adventures said...

We've always had a tractor through the years. Not the same one, though. All the Grands have had their picture taken in the seat at an early age.

Miss Merry said...

We have lots of restored family tractors in our area. It is even a 4-H project in our county fair - Usually the restored units are put under the families small pop up tent with yellow tape from corner to corner to discourage sitting or touching. A nearby community is the home of the manufacturer of Silver King Tractor, built from about 1909-1950 There are quite a few Silver King's around - local owned and ones hunted down from across the country. In an ordinary year there is a Silver King festival with a parade and the fire department does terrific chicken BBQ. The tiny village of 1800 and their neighbor whose population is around 600 host back to back festivals for the last weekend in July and first weekend in August (the other village features an Ox Roast). Because of the temperatures, the parade start at 6pm when it is cooler. Both villages share a rural population of Mennonites and Amish and we laugh at the "biker gangs", single young men on bicycles who roam the streets during the festivals impressing the young ladies in prayer caps who are studiously ignoring them.

Sara said...

I love a good nostalgic story - great post. So glad you found another relative who will put that tractor to work.

Rita said...

I get very attached to all kinds of inanimate objects--and that is a big one with many memories. Farewell. I'm glad it got a new home in the family. :)

L. D. said...

It is a neat old tractor. Someone will have a good time with that and turn it back into new condition.

Maebeme said...

Wow, that's amazing that it's been around so long. I'm sure getting parts for it now are much more difficult but it was obviously built well. I learned to drive on a small tractor like this - transitioning to a car was difficult because I couldn't see my front wheels. :)

Take care and stay well!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I can almost hear the rhythmic “putt-putt” as it idles. It looks similar to a John Deere my Dad used in the 50s. Good memories.

Cynthia said...

I’m glad you found willing takers for such a great family heirloom! I would way rather have that than Grandma’s silver! I’m sure it would get more use....

DJan said...

It looks pretty darn good for its age. More than I can say for myself! :-)

Bonnie said...

How wonderful that it can stay in the family.

Granny Marigold said...

That tractor sure has been useful through the years. I'm glad you found someone who wants it so it stays in the family.

Red said...

What a great story.

Dawn said...

I'm glad it's staying in the family.

At Home In New Zealand said...

What a delightful story. I hope the new owners get as much use and joy from The Tractor as your family obviously has :)

Karen said...

We have an old Case tractor in our shop right now getting axel and brakes replaced. Our work horse is a 1952 Massey Harris Pony. It was a gift to my late mother in law when she turned 16! It is hooked up to our hydraulic wood splitter out in the wood lot right now.

Susan Zarzycki said...

My goodness, I doubt they make equipment like that today. What a great story.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

How good that it can be passed on to another family member, it has so many memories attached

Betsy said...

You have such wonderful memories of times with the tractor. Working, playing, saving people and property with the sandbags. I'm glad it gets to stay in the family and with the original owners manual no less.
I love it. My uncle had a very similar tractor that we made memories with as a family too but I have no idea where it is now.
Blessings,
Betsy

Linda Reeder said...

Things last when you appreciate them and take good care of them. That old tractor is well loved.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Looks like the One my Dad bought for the "property" (40 Acres of land we could hunt on alone...) He used it for much of the same things you talk about: Disking, hauling, pulling, and uprooting trees. He was not a farmer, but we still managed to get a few memories... Don't know what happened to it after he died. I think MY brother sold it, but it may still be on the property in Michigan.

diane in northern wis said...

Wow ....I'd say that garden tractor earned its keep. Glad you found a new home for it!

Gemma's person said...

Very nice ode.

Leah said...

this is a great story - that tractor has some history.

The Feminine Energy said...

Oh what a wonderful story!! I love heritage stories and how items get passed down through the generations. Love, Andrea xoxo

Pauline Persing said...

Interesting uses that the tractor has been used for. Glad you found a home for it.

Shirley said...

My husband loves old tractors. He calls that style row croppers. It sure served you well over the years and good that it will continue its story.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Boy, that's a grand old tractor!