Thursday, March 28, 2019

Yarn Stash

A few years ago I cleaned out a box that held yarn, I donated a bunch for prayer shawls, I sold some at a garage sale. I allowed myself ONE drawer of yarn.  Yesterday I cleaned out that drawer...well almost ...there is some "special" yarn in there that is for a someday project.  All other misc yarn was cleared out.  ( Yarn with no project connected to it) I do have some other yarn that is "project  yarn" and not to be messed with....sock yarn and a colorful join as you go afghan.

A few days ago I read about Wildlife Rescue Groups that need nests for Wildlife Rehab...baby animals and birds that need warm homes until they can be released into the wild.  (Google Wildlife Rehab Nests)

The nests can be knit or crochet.  There are patterns online and some organizations have their own patterns...and want to see samples of your work. Some just welcome donated nests.
Part of my stash and a nest...then you turn them around!

My nest uses two strands of yarn...the stitches have to be worked tightly.

I chose to crochet because that is mindless work for my hands.  Far Guy and I enjoyed some outside on the patio time yesterday and I took my project outside.   It was about 50 F yesterday...practically a heat wave!
Far Side

20 comments:

Rita said...

Oh, I love the yarn bird nests! What a wonderful project. :)

Val Ewing said...

Very cool project! I don't think I have anymore yarn however I did find my collection of crochet needles! I worked in the yard all afternoon it was nice out.

linda m said...

What a great project and such good use of leftover yarn. Thanks for the suggestion.

Rose said...

That is uchba good way to use the yarn...and thatbone looks so well made!

marlu said...

What a neat project!

DJan said...

What a great idea of a wonderful use for leftover yarn. I love your pretty birds nests. :-)

Laurel Wood said...

It feels good to clean out and organize. Such a sweet little yarn nest. Glad you are able to get outdoors some.

Tired Teacher said...

Nice use of odd bits of yarn. Recently, I saw a photo of baby birds in a hand-crafted nest, but there was no information.

Pauline Persing said...

Interesting project. First time I've heard of knitting nests.

Sara said...

I had no idea that such a project even existed. How interesting!

Terry and Linda said...

WOW! Good for you! We got up to 74 I danced in the sunshine

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of making nests. What an interesting project. I also can’t imagine one drawer of yarn. I have it stashed all over the house in bins and baskets along with having a complete closet full!
Blessings, Betsy

Cynthia said...

How sweet! I’m going to check that project out as i have knit all the hats (for charity) that I’m going to (until next fall). And i have plenty of dibs and dabs to use up. I suspect the birds aren’t fussy about the colors!

Bonnie said...

That is a cool project! A good use of leftover bits too.

Granny Marigold said...

That is such a great idea and a good way to use up random leftover yarn.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, I never heard of that but such a great contribution! I might look that up. It looks like a fast and easy project too. It's so cute!

goodnightgram said...

Okay, the nest thing sounds like fun! I think I will check it out. And... glad to read that your sock yarn is not to be messed with!

Linda Reeder said...

A friend linked an article on Facebook about needing knitted nests, and here you are doing it!

Leah said...

The little bird nests are cute and a great idea!

Maebeme said...

What a lovely project, busy work for busy hands and a good deed indeed!