Time for an update on the Trilliums that we are carving. It was a class that we started four weeks ago. We have spent a fair amount of time at home carving on these flowers in between classes.
This is what we started with.
Three chunks of basswood.
After much carving here are my pieces.
The weather was rainy cloudy and cool all weekend…so I spent some time carving in the greenhouse/woodshop.
I selected a piece of Black Walnut from the “woodpile” for my base. The two sticks are stems from a Thornapple Bush. The stems need to be sanded yet…I am saving something for class this week.
Here it is during a trial run. I may shorten it up a bit before the final gluing. AND it will be painted…so it is not done yet…oh and it will get stamens…they are thorns from the Thornapple rolled in sawdust…they will be added last.
This is Far Guy’s Trillium…as you can see we carve differently because we see things differently. I like the way his flower faces outward…where as mine looks like it is seeking the sun. He also chose Black Walnut for the base…but with an oval shape.
The Trillium was a challenging diversion, I probably won’t carve another one. I carved on it about 30 hours. Now I can get back to carving Christmas Ornaments. I would like to have them all done before it snows.