Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Headwaters

We had a really nice outing to the headwaters of the Mississippi at Itasca State Park.  The park was established in 1891 and  it is the oldest State Park in Minnesota.

The Mary Gibbs Center at the headwaters was closed but the trail down to the headwaters was free from snow until we got close to the lake, then the path turned to snow but it was easy walking. 

IMG_6547 (2)

Click on this photo to make it bigger.  I laughed out loud at the reference to “the voracious long billed and dyspeptic musketoe”

The Headwaters Two

It was quiet.  You could hear the water going around the rocks. No musketoes …winter has a few good points.

Walking rocks are covered in snow

The rocks that you can walk over were covered in snow.   I have not been to the park in the winter before.   Some day I would like to go back and catch a sunrise.

That is Lake Itasca in the above photo and the mighty Mississippi begins at the rocks.  In the summer the tourists walk over the rocks and pose for photos there.

The Mississippi meanders on its way out of the park.

IMG_6560

 

IMG_6545

The water is clear and cold.

clean water

River flowing out of the park

There it is on it’s way north to Bemidji. 

Itasca State Park is not that far from our home, seems like we should go there more often.

Blog Signature

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely glimpse of your world!

Pauline Persing said...

I wish we lived just a little closer. I would like to see the headwaters.

Primitive Stars said...

Beautiful clear water is right, nice to have such a grand park close by, Blessings Francine.

Marty said...

I had no idea where the Mississippi begins - and what an interesting marker.
You brought back memories of the Stanley and Livingstone story, which I soon Googled.

linda m said...

I have always wondered where the Mississippi River started. Looks so small way up North.

Leah said...

Beautiful - I love the Headwaters in the winter (it is mostly quiet) unless you have snowmobilers stopping :)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

The headwaters is beautiful in the winter! I have only be there in the summer and it was many years ago. I would love to go back.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

As a young child I walked across those rocks with my aunt and my sister. I love seeing the Mississippi from different Minnesota vantage points. Glad you got out of the house despite the weather!

Nancy said...

Ah yes, musketoes are abundant in your area in the summer!

Great photos of this beautiful place.

Karen said...

It amazes me that the river is liquid and not iced over with the temperatures you've had.

Country Gal said...

That park is only 4 years older then our farm house here lol ! Lovely photos and post . Looks like a lovely place to walk and enjoy ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day !

Anonymous said...

Very scenic.

kathy b said...

Well it is just lovely and so peaceful. I want to go too

Red said...

Head waters are always an interesting point for me. You show great winter photos of a summer attraction.

Sam I Am...... said...

Yes, the "musketoe"part was funny but what was even funnier is that I squinted and read that whole sign and THEN saw your advice to click on the picture to make it bigger. LOL! Too late now..I've ruined my eyes for life. Duh....sometimes I'm amazed I've made it this far....oh well, I did click and reread it as I wanted to see if I'd read it right the first time. I always stop and read those signs whenever I come upon them. Thank you so much for the pictures of this..I think it's fascinating and I'll probably not ever get there or maybe I will but either way I appreciate it. If I go I'm stopping at your place first to pick you up!

Ryker said...

It is very pretty there.
We have some amazing long billed musketoes up here too!

Henny Penny said...

The water looks icy cold and beautiful.

Muffy's Marks said...

I've heard lots about the park from my son and daughter-in-law, but have never visited it myself. Lovely place!!

Jacqi Stevens said...

"Do not despise these small beginnings..."

And to think you live so close to the start of such a monumental landmark!

Cynthia said...

How can I be a real Minnesotan and say I've never been there! (Must by the musky-toes that have kept me away.). I'm planning to rectify that this summer, and maybe peek into your museum while I'm Oop Nort. Stay warm!

Terry and Linda said...

Very, very interesting, Connie!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
*♥´¨) ¸.-´¸.-♥´¨) Happy Valentine’s Day¸.-♥¨) (¸.-` ♥♥´¨

Rita said...

I took Dagan to Itasca and walked across the slippery rocks when he was a kid. It's nice to see it again. And I've never seen it in the winter. No mosketoes is a silver lining, for sure. You betcha! ;)

Lynda said...

I like the signs signifying the start of "something Big". The wording on the first one is great - - - sounds just like conversation rather than dry historical writing. Thank you for sharing pics of an area that most of us will never visit - - - outside of an elementary geography textbook. It's more personal and interesting when a friend reports on it.