Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: Cousins

The old photo today is three sisters that are my cousins.

Bernice Petie and Diana

Bernice, Beatrice ( Petie) and Diana.  This must have been taken about 1948 or maybe 1949.   My Aunt Senia must have sewn the dresses and fixed their hair. In 1949 Bernice would have been 8, Petie  5 and Diana 4. 

Last Sunday we had our annual family picnic.  There were two weddings in the family last weekend so many family members were out of the area.   Those of us that showed up had a great potluck meal and enjoyed all the good company of many cousins gathered.

Four of the Aunts were there, Aunt Lila, Aunt Violet, Aunt Grace and Aunt Anna.  Aunt Senia did not come from the nursing home.

We drew names for a few gifts.  Our quilt theme this year was patriotic.   I did the square that is embroidered with the angel that says God Bless America.

2011 Cousins Quilt

Click on photo to bigify!

We did not consult with each other about what we were doing in our square..as always it turned out real pretty.  Cousin Diana won this year.  She is the littlest girl in that old photo.  She was pleased.  That would be cousin Marsha and cousin Kim’s feet:)

Blog Signature

16 comments:

lisa said...

That is just fantastic, and that quilt is just beautiful!

Nancy said...

Cute photo of the girls.

I am curious about how their legs are crossed: is Diana by any chance left-handed?

DJan said...

Adorable old photo, and what a gorgeous and cool quilt! I did "bigify" and spent some time looking at each contribution. I didn't understand the one with only letters, but all the others are very patriotic.

West Side of Straight said...

Love the quilt. It turned out great, and lucky Diana! I sure bet she was happy to win it! Cute picture of her and sisters.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo, the cousins' pretty dresses and curls. So glad you had a good time at the potluck. I love the quilt; you did a great job with the embroidery and all the squares look wonderful together. Mrs. M. Lane

Laura said...

Love the photo with matching dresses on those cute girls. And love the quilt. Lucky cousin Diana!

Far Side of Fifty said...

DJan, The quilt block with only letters is my maiden name:)

Country Gal said...

I love potluck family get togethers !Wonderful quilt sounds like all had a nice time ! Wonderful photos.
Have a great day !

5 Starr's Farm said...

You always have the best storeys,great quilt.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that photo of the three girls is just delightful!

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Love the picture. I remember my mother telling me how much work went into dressing my sister and I in dresses like that. Ironing ruffles and pleats and sewing them to beging with. They are precious. The quilt is such a treasure.

troutbirder said...

I liked the quilt a lot. My mom used to make them too.

Leenie said...

Big kudos to people who plan and organize family get-togethers. Those events are a big challenge but so many wonderful memories result. The quilt is a beauty, but I've never seen a quilt with feet before.

Karmyn R said...

What a neat idea for a Family Picnic - making a quilt and giving it away.

My sister is getting married in October and for her "guest book" - she is leaving out quilt fabric with fabric marker. So - everyone will write good wishes or draw a picture and then she will turn it into a quilt. I thought that was a neat idea.

Lynda said...

I forgot about you all doing the quilt. Such a great idea. You may have told me last year but I forgot who puts it all together at the end.

Pamela said...

I'm impressed. I'm jealous.