Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Powwow

Far Guy and I attended the local powwow.  I can remember attending a powwow as a child. It was on the shores of Shell Lake. I saw my first teepee there..that was more than fifty years ago.  I still recall the warm evening air and the excitement.

The Drum

The sound of the drums and the chanting.  Of course I didn’t know what they are saying..

It doesn’t sound anything like Hihowareya? Hihowareya? That would be the Native greeting that Far Guy and I use.

Show me the money??

The Money

We got there just as the dancing began for the Little Brave and Little Princess competition.  When the competition is down to the last four dancers..people run out with money to honor the dancers.  The dancers are supposed to acknowledge it by dancing on the money.  Elders walk around and pick up all the money on the ground. 

IMG_5648

It was quite a dance off between these four grass dancers.

Girls all lined up

There were lots of young girls dancing.  Far Guys favorite dancer won.

The winner

She was a jingle dress dancer…and a pretty cute one at that:)

Blog Signature

16 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

That would be fun to attend! Did you take videos?

Gail said...

How wonderful that the art of dancing has not been lost. We attended the rain and sun dance at the museum in Independence County. It was amazing.

linda m said...

I have always loved going to a pow wow.

DJan said...

How cute! She looks like a natural born dancer... :-)

I have never been to a Pow Wow, but now I'll look for one to attend. There are plenty of Native Americans in my part of the world these days.

Changes in the wind said...

Jingle dancer is a shoe in...just the outfit makes me want to dance.

Country Gal said...

Awesome photos and post !
I used to go to powwows but havent been to one for years ! I love everything about them, I always came home with some beautiful hand made jewelry ! Have a great day !

Karen said...

She was a cutie! Did you see any dancing with the rings, kind of like small hoola hoops. We see some of that around here, but maybe it's a regional thing.

West Side of Straight said...

I like the Jingle outfits too. Lots of work in making them.
Fun to watch the kids dance~and knowing they're learning this art to keep tradition going.

Terry and Linda said...

I agree with one of your commenters on the other post...frame the quilt photo, it's a keeper!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Very colorful pictures and that little girl is adorable. They had something similar to this here last year, but the heat was just too intense for us to attend. Mildred

Laura said...

There are a couple of pow wows in our area. We used to enjoy the one on Walpole Island in Canada, just a ferry ride across the St. Clair River.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I haven't been to a powwow in several years; must go again one of these days. Thanks for reminding me!

Dreaming said...

Your post brings back wonderful memories of going to a large pow wow with my grandparents every summer I visited them. Thanks for the memories!

RURAL said...

She is adorable, and it's always fun when your favorite wins.

I too remember those pow wows from my youth. I think it was my parents trying to show us our heritage.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Lynda said...

That looks like it was a fun day. Praise God for people keeping their heritage alive.

Pamela said...

I posted a pow wow several years ago. It was so much fun. you could buy wonderful fry bred (or whatever they call it)