Sunday, August 14, 2011

Roses

My William Baffin roses are thriving this year.  Far Guy cut them way back in the early spring.

William Baffin Explorer Series

This is the only rose of the Explorer Series that was developed at the Morden Research Station in Morden Manitoba. I understand that even if they no longer research roses that they have display gardens. William Baffin is a wonderful rose, he is kinda a climber, he will climb to about twelve feet.  Mine are not nearly that tall because I have this pipe dream about them climbing up the metal wagon wheels.  I think they get too warm next to the metal, and their growth is slowed.

William Baffin in bud

  I could move the roses, or I could give up on the metal wheels..or maybe I could try some extra water and some fertilizer..I hope they don’t croak from some attention:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this particular rose before, Connie. It's a pretty color. Hope you have a wonderful, restful day. Mildred

lisa said...

They are beautiful! Far guy is doing a great job with them ;)

Changes in the wind said...

Please send smell:) They are pretty but its the smell that I love the most.

DJan said...

There is something about pictures of roses that triggers a smell in the room for me, Changes! And believe it or not, I smelled them when I looked at these pictures.

I am always pleased to see that your banner still has the summer chairs and kayaks. I'll know summer is over when it changes...

West Side of Straight said...

They're beautiful!!!!!!!

Dreaming said...

Mmmmm... what a yummy color!
How 'bout some wood wagon wheels?!!

Linda said...

I like all the Explorer roses......but Henry Hudson (the white one) is my favorite and does better here than the rest.

L. D. said...

Your Baffin looks great. I need to start all over with mine. If I can find a sprout I will move it away from the drainage area of the garden shed. It is a wonderful rose and I leaned from it on a garden show on pbs. Bought mine in Duluth many years ago.

CiCi said...

Nice roses. I want some for the front of the house. Having lots of flowers and plants is work, though, isn't it?

Gail said...

Beautiful!

I have discovered roses love rocks at their feet and thrive with that extra warmth.

Laura said...

Lovely.
I have never had luck with growing roses and eventually just gave up. Thanks for letting me enjoy yours!

Rita said...

They're beautiful! :)

Country Gal said...

They are beautiful !
Sorry about last comment blogger went wacky on me ! Have a wonderful day !

Lynda said...

I like the last picture of them the best. I love roses but don't spend any time in the yard on stuff anymore - - - it's too hot out there for too many months.

Sally Wessely said...

This is a beautiful rose. I will have to make note of it. I am looking for a 'bit of a climber' to grow on my shed. I really do like this one. Thanks for sharing.

Jeanne Estridge said...

As soon as your site came up, I smelled the scent of roses.

Well, almost.

Karen said...

Love the colour:)
You might be surprised what a bit of food and attention could do for that rose, ha ha, just sayin':)

Pamela said...

never replaced my roses....