Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wistful Wednesday : Early 1900's

This photograph was taken before 1914. I know that for a fact..Grandpa H moved to Minnesota in the spring of 1914. Far Guys Grandpa H was in Iowa with two of his brothers, Grover and Brian. Apparently they were headed someplace with a load of melons.
Sometimes dating old photographs is difficult, I am just guessing that the littlest boy is between 10 and 12 years old, which dates this photo 1906 to 1908. Grandpa H was born in 1889, Grover in 1894, and Brian in 1896. When did little boys stop wearing knickers and graduate to long pants? Was it an age thing? :)

8 comments:

Lanny said...

Totally off subject, but when this was in my reader I thought that those were potatoes in the wagon. I have potatoes on my brain.

Smart Mouth Broad said...

What a great picture. I love the old photographs.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating photo! I expect boys graduated out of knickers just like boys in the UK wore shorts and then graduated to long trousers.

Unknown said...

I bet those watermelons were a real treat back then.

I don't know when boys quit wearing knickers. I have photo's of my FIL wearing them as a toddler and he's 92.

Anonymous said...

You have some of the best old photos I've seen. What a treat it must have been to have watermelon!

Julia said...

You have some of the best old photos .. Nice to be able to look back at your folk and how they lived in those days..
Julia ♥

Moms Musings said...

When I went to school, the boys wore knickers until they were about 12. This was in the '40s, and a Catholic school. It was part of the uniform, they went to long pants in 7th grade. We girls word jumpers w/blouse and knee socks. I think we graduated to stockings in 6th or 7th grade.

Jan said...

Love your photos.