Friday, May 3, 2024

All about May Day

 I have been celebrating May Day for about 71 years.  

It is very simple, you make a small basket out of rolled up paper or a paper cup, decorate it how ever you wish, make a handle, tuck candy or flowers inside the basket.  Take them to a neighbor or friends home, hang them on the door or set them by the door, knock on the door and say Happy May Day!  Then run away so they cannot catch you and kiss you! 

My Mother used to help us make May Baskets and then we would get in the car and drive to all the neighbors delivering baskets.  The baskets were held in muffin tins or cake pans for easy transport...it was us kids job to hold the tins and pans steady while she drove.  We would deliver the May Baskets and run back to the car. 

A neighbor by the name of Jim Mack told me that when he was a little boy...in the 1930's after evening chores his Mom Mary had treats ready (usually cookies) to put in baskets that they made.  He would walk down to Far Guy's Grandparents farm, trying to be sneaky and leave the basket unnoticed.  He said  Far Guy's Grandmother Meade would come out of the house her apron flying running after him.  He told me he would never forget that image of her running after him! 

It is a great way to celebrate Spring!  Far Guy says" No matter how many times he tripped and fell down running away from a girls house...they never caught him with a kiss." 


Me and my May Baskets in 1954, that was my dog Frosty in the background.  Yes we can still have snow here in Minnesota in May.

Happy Kids that we delivered May Baskets to yesterday...one day late but the kids still smiled! 

These are my niece Stacey's children. 

This is Lola's second May Day...looks like it made her smile too! 

So that is May Day in a nutshell.  I know not many people celebrate May Day anymore...but I do!  Such a simple way to make a few people smile:)
Far Side


24 comments:

Ed said...

Down here, May day wasn't even mentioned, much less celebrated. I remember once when I was probably in junior high we got a new kid and he asked why we weren't doing a May day pole and we all looked at him blankly. He had to explain what that was and why it was celebrated back where he had come from.

Sallysmom said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes. This reminds me of some of the things some used to do that are not being carried on now.

Lynda said...

I love that you continue to do this! It is always good to bring a smile to another's face. The Bible tells us in Proverbs that "a cheerful heart is like good medicine". Plus science will tell you that when you smile, your brain releases dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin which are all good neurotransmitters. (I was taught that recently but still had to look it up!)

Maebeme said...

Anything that makes people smile is worth celebrating. Lovely family!

Sandra said...

This is a wonderful tradition and one I didn't grow up with.

Shug said...

I am so happy to read about this. What fun this must be and the perfect way to reach out to neighbors and others in such a friendly way. I live in Texas and perhaps this is not something that is done in the South. I just "May" have to start something new down here. This is why I love blogging. I get to see traditions and life in general from other parts of our Country.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

So nice that you still celebrate it and I can tell by those pictures those children appreciated it! Thanks for the history of it also. I'm glad you said Frosty was your dog as I thought maybe it was a sheep! LOL! Happy Belated May Day!

Red said...

You get a lot of satisfaction out of your May Day activities.

Terry and Linda said...

When our kids were little we used to do this for all our neighbors and the kid's friends. It was lovely fun.

Tired Teacher said...

This is a fun post! I love the photos and the smiles you delivered.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

what a sweet tradition!
I love seeing your old photos.

Rita said...

I knew about leaving May baskets at the door but nothing about the running away so you wouldn't get kissed--LOL! I guess I never knew the best part. I'm glad you still do it. The only time I ever made one was when we all did in grade school. Glad you are keeping up the tradition. :)

Betsy said...

We always did May baskets when we were little. I don't know why I stopped. I remember how much fun it was. I'm playing catch-up today on blogs. We didn't have internet at the campground so I've been offline all week.
Blessings,
Betsy

Robin from P'ville said...

Wonderful tradition.

The Furry Gnome said...

I think I'd be waiting at a pretty girl's house until she came out and kissed me. Why run away!

Linda Reeder said...

I love that photo of you with May baskets in the snow. And I like your May Day stories. I never heard about the kiss part.
While we were away on May Day, spending it with my sister, My daughter brought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers. Eventually I'l get a post together. We've been busy.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Thank you for this I have heard of May Day but had no idea what it was till now and have to say it sounds like fun.

Shirley said...

When I was a kid our little town used to celebrate May Day, we had a May pole with ribbons attached that we got to wind around and around- supposed to dance but more like a shuffle! It was kind of like a mini fair with games and treats.

Anonymous said...

I loved May Day and the anticipation of making the baskets because they were different every year but oh my gosh we just couldn't get caught and kissed! Such good memories! Your baskets were so cute as usual! Hope far guy is feeling better too!

diane in northern wis said...

I love the May Day tradition. Thank you for explaining it so well. I can just picture Grandma Meade running after the little boy with her apron flying! Such sweet memories. Thanks so much for sharing them all.

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy May Day!
We didn't really do anything around that here. Happy to enjoy yours, though.

thecrazysheeplady said...

So Grandmother Meade was chasing him to give him a kiss?

Far Side of Fifty said...

thecrazysheeplady Yes!

Rose said...

I wish I had been used to celebrating May Day...this has been memories you made that last a lifetime.