Saturday, June 24, 2023

Yarn and Ants

 Yarn organization...There is only one word...totes.  I put yarn in totes and sort by color.  I used to have a yarn dresser but the drawers were a pain in the butt...so now I have totes...Far Guy says "easier to move that way."

I have a new mosaic pattern that I am trying...it is a real fun pattern.

I pulled these colors to start with.


Then I added a few more blues to the bunch.  It is a work in progress.  When it looks like something I will take a photo. 

Now about those ants...I mowed some areas yesterday and treated some ant mounds.  Field Ants are nasty biting creatures ( they pinch your skin and the apply a stinging agent) and the powdered sugar/ borax mixture does not work on them.  There are a few products out there to control them...completely obliterating them will be a challenge.  Only certain things will kill them...one article I read said to take a shovel full of the mound and move it to a different mound and they will kill each other...I am not sure I have a shovel with a long enough handle.  Some day I may take a photo of the mounds....I opened up a few mounds while sitting on the lawn mower...they really get mad when you disturb the larvae. I met a fellow in the bug aisle one day he said he took a sledge hammer and pounded the mound and killed them as they came out...of course he was a big guy with huge arms...

Oh well the ant fight will continue for awhile. 

Far Side

20 comments:

DJan said...

Those ants sound awful! I haven't seen any ants around here, but I'm sure they are around somewhere. I look forward to seeing your new project. :-)

Wildflower Adventures said...

I thought it was me not being able to get rid of ants. Mine just seem to move when I put stuff out to get rid of them. Karen

Sara said...

I hope you win the ant fight. My husband has been waging a Russian Thistle fight along the back side of our property for several years. Lately it appears to be a losing battle.

Miss Merry said...

Good luck with the battle! Sounds like a miserable job to get rid of them.

Victoria Zigler said...

My yarn is all in a big laundry basket. Not the best organization plan, but at least it's all in one area.

Good luck with the ant war.

Rita said...

They sound awful! I have never come across biting ants before.
Looking forward to seeing your latest yarn adventures. :)

Maebeme said...

I love the colors of your new mosaic blanket. Recently I converted to clear totes as well as it is easier to see what I have have. And Far Guy is right, they're easier to move around.

Yuck, those ants sound absolutley horrid. I hope you're able to find something to, at least, reduce their numbers.

Val Ewing said...

We have a few large mounds way out in the back pasture. One doesn't want to stand on them!

I wonder if salt would bother them?
I just got some mole/vole balls that I'm using in the garden, man...they stink so bad that it would keep me away too! The company had deer 'balls' and snake balls ... I wonder if they have something that drives ants nuts!

Sandra said...

Yikes! Those ants sound awful. I look forward to seeing the next project.

Betsy said...

I can't wait to see your new project. I used to use totes but I could never find what I wanted. I love my yarn wall. I still have some tiny scrap balls in a tote but that's it. Finished projects go into totes until I have enough to deliver them somewhere.
Those ants sound awful. I've never experienced anything like that. Are they fire ants? Anyway, I'm sorry you have to deal with them at all.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

Galla Creek said...

I have them too. I bought something to treat the hills. But there is lots of hills. I get a sore if they bite me. You can step on a hill without realizing it and bam. They are on you.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Oh, I wish you luck with those ants!

Granny Marigold said...

Pretty colours you chose for your latest project.
Those Field ants sound scary. I hope you find something that deals with them.

diane in northern wis said...

Yikes....those ants sound awful. Good luck in getting rid of them! I love the yarn colors that you chose for your new project....can't wait to see it!

Linda Reeder said...

Now I feel a little itchy, like there might be ants crawling on me. Ugh.

aurora said...

We live in ant 'er sand country. G'luck. They sure can be nasty biter's.

Great color combo!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

We have fire ants here. At best, we can only get them to move, so that is the battle...just move out of my yard and I will be happy. Mark has poison he got from the co-op, and that seems to help. A long time ago, I tried to just flood them with water. Nope, that does not work. One of friend's used to pour kerosene on them.
They are a menace in the south.

Dawn said...

We have ant mounds near us that have been there for years. So far not in our yard. I hope never!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

We had a heck of a time with carpenter ants when we first moved in. I think we finally have them licked, but I'm still nervous. Hope you find a solution

L. D. said...

It looks like a good color scheme. Gray instead of brown makes it more interesting. Those are mean ants.