Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Baxter The Swimmer

 Baxter belongs to my baby brother and his bride.  Baxter is 16 months old now.  This is his first Fall at the lake.  He is a busy Mini Aussie boy, his nose is always working.  He found deer guts to bring home but that is a different story.

Here in Minnesota we get ice that freezes near the shore of our lakes...then depending on the current and fish activity it can have thicker ice in places and thin ice in places.   Fall ice can be treacherous.

Baxter walked right off the dock and onto the ice....well before long the ice broke and Baxter was in the water...he found a ledge of ice to get his paws up onto and hung there.   When Baxter is in trouble he does not bark.   The time he got a couple of fish hooks caught in his foot he just held his paw up and looked pathetic....that was on a Saturday and finding a Vet to remove them was a problem...my brother finally located a Vet 60 miles away that would stay in the office if they hurried to get there.  Fish hooks were removed successfully and Baxter was just a little loopy from the anesthetic.

Anyways Baxter was hanging onto a shelf of ice.   My brother was nearby putting away some things for winter.   I think he probably called his bride for help as soon as he saw poor Baxter clinging to the edge of the ice with his paws and the rest of his body submerged in the icy water...anyways...my baby brother got a kayak on  the ice/water and was busting the ice breaking a trail to Baxter...his bride was calling for Baxter on the dock...eventually after about twenty minutes in the water...Baxter swam to the dock and was pulled out!   

Talk about some excitement!  I asked if Baxter was cold and shivering... "No, he was happily running around. " said my baby brother.  

Good thing Baxter can swim.  I wonder if he has learned his lesson about ice.  Good thing my brother was there and it was a good thing he had not put all the kayaks away.  Possibly he should put an  ice chisel near the dock!

I remember when we lived at the lake we had a cat that must have chased something out on the ice...probably chasing a mouse... came back to the house looking like a big old icicle with ice covered hair standing out in all directions.  So cats can possibly swim a bit if they absolutely have to. 


Baxter during one of his visits to our house. 

Far Side

24 comments:

Val Ewing said...

Baxter is pretty darned smart! That is some story!

Morris learned about thin ice but it was not on a lake, only a small pond. Yikes!
All turned out well it seems.

linda m said...

I am so glad Baxter is okay after his experience with "ice". He sure sounds like an inquisitive young "child".

Ed said...

We lost a dog many years ago due to falling though the ice when nobody was around.

DJan said...

He's a cutie. Glad he was successfully rescued, but I'd keep an eye on him around ice. Yikes! :-)

Maebeme said...

That would have been a scary situation for your brother and his bride. Baxter obviously wasn't too concerned - he knew they'd save him.

Ah, deer guts....my brother has had several dogs through the years and I've heard those stories.

Sara said...

Baxter must really be a cat - because he used up one of his 9 lives. So fortunate that his people were around to help.

Bonnie said...

I just love Baxter. He sounds just like a young boy that has to test the waters and the ice! It is a good thing your brother was nearby. The fish hooks were a bit scary I imagine but it's all part of growing up!

Granny Marigold said...

I'm glad Baxter didn't perish with the cold and all. Strange that he doesn't bark when he needs help.

Miss Merry said...

What an adventure!!! Gosh, I hope Baxter has learned his lesson.

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, please, Baxter, don't do that again. You are just too adorable to lose.

Betsy said...

That was a scary story. I sure hope Baxter learnd his lesson and I'm so happy his people were nearby to help him. And that he could swim.
Blessings,
Betsy

Red said...


Most animals are fairly aware of risks as far as ice goes. Too bad this happened as it could have been much worse.

Henny Penny said...

How scary!! Poor Baxter. I bet your brother and his bride's nerves were shot. Sure hope he won't try that again. So sorry to hear about Baily (think I got his name right) in your last post. Our dogs get old too fast, don't they. Hard for us to believe that our Eli is eight years old now and beginning to show his age. It's sad.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aw, the poor thing. Lots of animal CAN swim if they have to.
Glad baxter is safe.

diane in northern wis said...

OH my gosh...what a rascal that Baxter is. Thank goodness he got out of that icy water! How scary. I know cats can swim because we had a swimming pool in one of our houses years ago and my husband dropped both cats in and they swam right over to the side and jumped out!

Lynda said...

I am so glad he is okay! I about skipped to the end without reading all of it because I was afraid he had drowned. So thankful he did not!
That dog sounds like a cat with nine lives.

L. D. said...

That means he needs to stay locked up or tied up until the lake freezes completely solid. That scared me just reading it. I am so glad he is ok. He does seem to be the kind of a dog that just takes things in stride.

Rita said...

So glad he was okay and they were there to help rescue thim!

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

Thank goodness he's alright! He's trooper and a stoic one at that! So happy he's alright!

Terry and Linda said...

OH! GOSH! I was afraid this was going to have a very bad and sad ending. I'm so glad he is okay.

Dawn said...

Oh my. This made my heart race. I wouldn't let him off a lead until the ice is safe, the rest of fall!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Baxter is one handsome and smart fella

Shirley said...

Glad that had a happy ending!
Maine Coon cats love water. We had one that was part Maine Coon and he would love to have showers with Ted.

Victoria Zigler said...

Poor Baxter. Good thing they were able to get him out in time for him to be fine afterwards.