Friday, December 18, 2009

Wrap it up!

Well we finally did it..we wandered into a store with a list. We walked out with a few presents.

A glass block stuffed with Christmas lights and topped with a bow..a gift from Jen a few years ago.

Since I guess that more packages will be wrapped this year and less Gift cards..or cash will be given..I had to pick out some wrapping paper. What a waste of perfectly good trees. The variety is endless..but if I am going to take the time to wrap this crap up and make it look good, I want some half way decent paper. I did not attend any after Christmas sales last year..I THOUGHT that my gift wrapping days were over and I would never need another box or gift tag..no bows or curly ribbon..none of those fancy gift bags ever again. One complaint and Far Guy caved, those girls I birthed for him have a way of talking him into just about anything. ....they want packages picked out with a meaning. Bah Humbug..I said..give them cash..it's too cold to shop..then they gave us a list..and THEN they shared the same list with other people so stuff got crossed off one by one..TAKEN. Last night I prayed..yes, I prayed that someone would find that Bullhorn that one of the little lovelies has on her list. No such luck..this morning it is still on her list..of course this would only be on the list of Miss Paige.. and she will "fake cry" if she doesn't get it. Of course..she will sob quite realistically..and have everyone fooled ..but me.

A tiny tin ornament from my Mother.
Back to the paper. First of all I refuse to use any hot colors..hot pink is definitely out. Who are these designers anyway..what happens? Do they lock them in a room and have a contest to see who can come up with the worst paper design..only letting them out when they have successfully created an entire line of wrapping paper that I will not purchase.

A glass ornament from my Mother,
I want a simple paper, a neutral background..white or beige..some beautifully decorated little trees with some forest creatures and birds flitting around the paper. I would also like some blue paper with some Angels or maybe a manger scene. I do not want santa's, huge honkin trees, stars, squiggles or cartoon characters. Fine I will settle for Poinsettias, Mistletoe..something botanical.. that only exists in my mind..Menards has a very limited selection of wrapping papers..but they are 40% off. After spending twenty minutes in that very short aisle and while Far Guy walked every aisle in the store getting a head start on his three mile walk for the day...I bought three rolls..a plain silver that kinda looks like aluminum foil but much cheaper ..a turquoise blue with burgundy Angels..and a baby blue with white Angels blowing trumpets with some shooting stars. I also bought a whole slug of BLUE BOWS. I am once again armed with wrapping paper and matching bows. Now I am going to begin a search for a bullhorn:)

18 comments:

LadyFi said...

When I lived in the UK I spent many years only using newspaper and glossy magazines as wrapping paper. Quirky - but surprisingly stylish.

Love the ornaments in your photos.

Becca's Dirt said...

You nutty girl. You are so funny. I hate wrapping gifts too. Love your new header. I am off to finish my shopping this afternoon. I will spend my weekend wrapping these things in between back breaks. Only 1 person left to buy for. I didn't even get a gift for my son or daughter this year. Wanted to but no money.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This chick' shopping is finished, candy in the freezer, house decorated to the kilt, but I have not wrapped yet. Wrappin' is just not a turn on for me. I need to jump in and just get~er~done! I don't even mess with tape, a glue gun is fast, one handed and drives everyone opening c-r-a-z-y! Well, if I wrap them I need to have a little fun...right? Heeeheeehe!

You have yourself a wonderfully blessed weekend, girlfriend!!!

DayPhoto said...

Love your ornaments! Your blog is really very fun to visit. I'm never sure what I will find here.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

Lanny said...

Half the present is the wrapping or is it like a meal, my mother, and I agree with her, always said that presentation was ninety percent of it. So I agree with the paper issue. And I am glad to hear that you are doing presents. Not a fan of money, not that I wouldn't take it home if that is what I got, but some how it just feels like people pass the same bill around the room. Or everybody toss some gift cards in the candy dish take which ones you like the best. So I understand your girls but I can sympathize with how easy they can work on a dad, I think my daughters' eye sockets actually tilt into poor puppy angle when looking at their father. But all in all, yay for presents, yay for carefully chosen wrapping paper, yeah for husband that go shopping too, yay yay yay. Happy Bullhorn Hunting!

L. D. said...

Yep, it is getting to you too. I too find the choices of paper stupid. Would they quit with the pink and lime green and gold. I lived that era and I don't want to revisit it. Your dog ornament at the top is just beautiful. I didn't get to comment on it earlier. Hang in there, we are now putting things to do on paper. It looks like a snowstorm is coming to stop our visitors from getting here from Chicago anyway.

Emma Rose said...

You are always so brutally honest - it's refreshing!

Kisses for Chance,
Emma Rose

Patsy said...

Glad you found just the right paper and bows. Great post.
Patsy

Rae said...

You have made me laugh out loud. I love the way you tell things. How do you manage to take something so ordinary and turn it into an amusing story? It is your special talent. Amazing!

I hate wrapping gifts. It is a nightmare. Thank goodness I didn't have to do it this year. I can't imagine what Paige wants with a bullhorn, but I have to admit it is a very unique gift.

DJan said...

I also used to wrap things in the Sunday funnies, which I would save up a few months before Christmas. I liked the look of it, but I have never been much for style. I also love these ornaments, especially the glass present. Just gorgeous!

lilly said...

I could read your blog every cay and never be bored. it always makes me smile or laugh,and I always need a good boost by the tiem I get to read my blog sites.We bought more together this year as I am not able to get out as much. Good wrapping paper is hard to find. Its like cheap toilet paper, all you have to do is touch and it rips so good paper costs almost as much as the gift. Oh Well,good thing Christmas only comes once a year. lilly

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I still have a big box of paper in the basement, but I'm also trying to make some reusable fabric bags from Christmas prints I bought on sale last year. Will post about them one of these days, probably.

Gail said...

You are way ahead of me! I use newspaper and colorful ribbons. Recycles and doesn't look too bad.

I have rolls of paper but, like you, I wonder where they get these designs.

My sister uses brown paper and hand made decorations.

Now you are to the point you can enjoy the holiday. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a lighted glass block....I might steal the idea and do some along my sidewalk leading to the house.....or maybe not, ithey might make it easier to find us:)

Silver said...

Fun read. I think i do experience that same hiccup as you in the gift dept before.. glad you did finally find the gift wrapping papers to go with those gifts.

~Silver
Reflections

RURAL said...

Connie......I have two words for you. But you probably won't like them. But, that is another blog post for you then.

GIFT BAGS.

I love gift bags, we can reuse them over and over, they are easy to wrap with, and almost anything fits in them.

I think I even saw some exactly like the pattern you described wanting.

Funny post. Loved the grousing.

Jen

Pamela said...

One year I had a beautiful wrap that had colorful frogs all over it. It was my favorite for every thing... birthdays, anniversaries, christmas, etc.

Who doesn't want frogs jumping and croaking on every festive occasion?

lisa said...

I have always thought wrapping was just too time consuming and the very last thing I did and I hated it. This year, as gifts were bought they were wrapped and I am done already! For the family I did baked goods and they get to pick out colors for their towels I am weaving and so no wrapping there Yea!