Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wistful Wednesday: Christmas 1957



We believe that this photograph was taken in 1957, the little boys would have been 9, 6 and 7.  That is Far Guy on the right. The other little boys are his cousins..Stevie and Jay. We had a discussion about this photograph..you see the Christmas Tree is on the wall where the piano always sat. Far Guy does not remember that chair.  We believe this photo was taken at Grandma and Grandpa H's... Another thing that puzzles us is the Military Hat hanging on the wall..did it belong to Uncle Jimmy or was it Uncle Archies..and was it common to hang them on a wall? Lots of unknowns in this photo..and I do hope that relatives will help to answer some of these questions.

Grandmas plants had been moved in from the front porch..and she perched some Christmas cards in the upper window ledge..I can recall her doing that in the dining room..but I suppose she did it in the living room also. We were hardly ever in the living room, unless there were lots of people in the house..we were usually in the dining room or the kitchen, that seemed to be the hub of this old farmhouse.

Those fancy dolies on the chair..lots of women had them on the good furniture. I have several old sets that I purchased at garage sales..I don't suppose they will ever come back in fashion again..but you never know!

I can almost smell the chicken and noodles cooking on the stove, and I can imagine that these three little boys could put away a bunch of Christmas Cookies:)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was born in 1957. The print on the curtains is familiar and also the crocheted doilies on the furniture. I love old photos that show a lot of the furniture etc. in the home.

Maery said...

Doilies aren't in fashion?! I've got some in the guest bedroom. But I do like to use them also to protect furniture or cover up areas that unfortunately were unprotected at some point and are damaged.

lisa said...

mmmm, chicken and noodles sure does sound good, and I sure know that the guys can put away those cookies.

Lanny said...

Come on Connie, lets just single handedly bring back those things we like, for me doilies on furniture for sure, and corsages, glove and hats! Oh and beautiful shoes. How can you eat chicken and noodles and get the full flavor if there isn't doilies on the backs and arms of the chairs! Seriously! I don't see how that is possible. Love the old pictures you share, they are terrific.

Becca's Dirt said...

What a cute photo of Far Guy. I didn't know the doilies were out of style - I'm using my old ones and some newer ones.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

My mama always had those fancy doilies on the furniture...drove my dad nuts! I have a pic of myself as a child in front of a tree in my new peddle blue car. The corner and the tree could be one in the same. Funny!!!

Enjoy your memories of Christmas past and the blessings of today!!!

DJan said...

Yes, that's a wonderful picture, with lots of period drama in it. Not to mention the kids who are now more than grownups. And yes, I CAN smell the chicken soup (oh wait, that's going on in MY kitchen). :-)

Emma Rose said...

We think doilies are lovely :)

tipper said...

Love the picture-and the memories it holds : )

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Those boys are the ages of some of my brothers. And the drapes are so familiar.... Great photo.

Pamela said...

I never got homemade noodles -- and I still don't.
Are you cooking them this year? (:

I can just feel the old Christmas sparkle from that photo.

Rae said...

Far Guy was a sweet little boy. The room decorations are so typical of the 50's. It brings back memories. My mom and grandma had those doily things everywhere. We spent many hours in the kitchen too. It was the center of the action and where everyone met to sit and talk.

Gail said...

I love the doilie look so much I have it on an old couch.

Leah said...

Your old picture postings are always so interesting -- as you decipher the why, what and when.... Wonder what the answer is with the military hat...

Andrea said...

I love the old photo. I remember when Christmas trees didn't have to be as tall as the ceiling, and weren't decked out like works of art...but they were special anyway. Those were the days, even if I admit I don't remember 1957.

♥ Braja said...

Looks wonderful; a real Christmas....