Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cinnamon Ornaments

A few years ago, Maddie came home from school with a little package for me..she was so excited.  It was one of those "School Creations."  She said that I could open it right away or I could wait until Christmas morning.  We discussed it..and decided together that all gifts should wait until Christmas morning.

Every year when I open the Christmas Ornament container the smell of cinnamon greets me and I am reminded of the big smile she had on her face that day.  How proudly she presented her gift, and the ornament that she made especially for me.  


I have many ornaments, and I mean many..enough to decorate several trees.  I collect Christmas Ornaments..however this one holds a very special place in my heart and upon the tree.

Perhaps you would like to make a memory for your tree.

Maddie's Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments
One Cup Cinnamon
One Tablespoon Cloves
One Tablespoon Nutmeg
3/4 Cup Applesauce
2 Tablespoons white glue
Mix the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients..kneed for a few minutes.  Roll out to a thickness of 1/4 inch.  Cut out your shapes with a cookie cutter.  Use a straw to poke a hole through the top of the cutout.  Air dry for several days turning occasionally.  Paint with a glitter glue..attach a length of ribbon for a hanger:)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very pretty ornament and I love the smell of cinnamon. Funny sometimes how a smell will evoke a certain memory, like Maddie's wide grin when you opened her hand-made gift! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Cinnamon is a favorite, esp. at Christmas. Gonna save this...our grandkids are a little young yet but it's exactly the kind of gift we want to help them make for Mom and Dad while they're here at Wild Rumpus Daycare.

Emma Rose said...

Wonderful story. We may just be making new ornaments this year!

Kisses,
Emma Rose

Anonymous said...

ooh..something cinnamon sounds good about now... after my 45 minute outing with manker dog in -5 degrees
happy blessed sunday

gp

DJan said...

So sweet, Connie. I really think this is a great idea. I went to a holiday party last night and overindulged in everything and feel a little under the weather today, but even so the cinnamon ornament made me smile!

Rae said...

Those ornaments made by kids are the best. I still have many saved from my own kids. Is that your Christmas tree? I have always wanted a white tree with only blue lights. I think they are so pretty. I had decided not to go to all the work of putting up decorations and a tree this year, but seeing so many blogs with all these ideas for decorating is making it hard to resist the decorating bug. I need to come to my senses real soon or else I am going to be knee deep unpacking bulbs and lights. Slap me please and bring back to reality!

L. D. said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It would make a nice gift for those who are hard to buy for. That smell is so good and the ornament is beautiful.
I looked for glass blown ornaments at Target today and they are all now cast plastic. It is so sad. Your tree looks special.

West Side of Straight said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have some little cookie cutters and have been wanting to make some!

Leah said...

This was a great (grandma/granddaughter) memory -those handmade ornaments are so special... I believe we have some of those cinnamin...min..minn ones too!

Shirley H. said...

One CUP of cinnamon in that cookie decoration recipe? Where does one get that much cinnamon? I have only ever had small cans of it.??????

DayPhoto said...

I have some 'made just for you Momma' decorations that I will forever hold dear to my heart.

Thank you for this recipe and story, Connie.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

LadyFi said...

What a lovely idea - an ornament that also creates a sensory memory...

Jeanne Estridge said...

Sounds like a great g-kid project when they're just a teensy bit older....

Jeanne Estridge said...

And, I'm passing it on to my s-daughter for her Daisy troop.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Shirley H Buy the cheap stuff at the dollar stores..you don't need top of the line cinnamon for these! :)