Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Headed to the "Home"

Far Guy takes medication daily for the unbearable pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia. He is on a new form of Tegretol and the added med Baclofen. He must take his meds four times a day. The Doctor suggested 10-2-6 and 10. Well, fine we can do this, we are after all two fairly mature normal adults...RIGHT?..well maybe that is stretch of my imagination.

I got organized with the "new plan"..the container is filled at the end of the day. I did it a few nights, now Far Guy is in charge of doing it. On the weekend he "forgot" his meds at home, so his doses were late. Sunday was a pain filled day for him, at one point I was sure that we were going to end up in the ER. But he made it through the night and actually felt pretty good yesterday morning. With our new system he is supposed to tell me when he takes his meds. So he tells me "I took my pills", but then he forgets to take them. HE LIES..well maybe he just stretches the truth..he thought about taking them..but the container does not lie, if the pills are still there it is quite obvious to me that there is a problem. I have now enforced a Witnessed Medication Program ...he must bring the pill to me wherever I am at..put them on his tongue and I must see him swallow them.

I started this new WMP last night. Last evening around six o'clock I was having a really fun time catching up with a friend on the computer. Far Guy interrupted me and said "I need to tell you something, but you have to promise not to get mad and yell, or bitch at me all night." I agreed very reluctantly. He said "I have not taken any of my meds today" I replied .."But you told me you took them??" He quickly stated "You promised..not to YELL." I did a slow burn and logged out of the chat room. THEN I began to sing to him..singing is not yelling .. "La La..you forgot your meds again..I can't believe it La La..I am so upset.. La La I don't know what I am going to do with you La La LALAAA." About that time my brother knocked on the door and interrupted my singing which may have escalated to uncontrollable bitching. Far Guy was saved from my wrath and said to my brother "Thank God you are here, she will shut up now." I just held my head in my hands, we are destined for the "Home" if we don't get our poop in a pile pretty soon.

Truthfully, I was tempted to hit him with the invisible hatchet that I carry to protect him from insensitive people.

Today is a new day, the WMP is working, I set the oven timer for four hours..it will ding at the appropriate time for the next Witnessed Medication Ingestion. If either of us wore a watch perhaps we could set an alarm reminder, but we are retired and time is usually not an issue. When we get to the "home" someone else will be in charge and they will have a watch:)

6 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

That is SO funny! My husband takes a BAZILLION meds (you name it, he takes it) and if he misses, I can TELL. I immediately say, "DID YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS???"

It cracks me up........

thanks for visiting!!!

Anonymous said...

That is pretty clever with the oven timer.lol... Oh, and I don't wear my watch either.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Vodka mom, Thanks for stopping by, I enjoyed your blog!

ga farmwomen, I had him confused all morning, he uses that oven clock to tell time, he kept asking me what time it was, I looked at the oven and said..two hours till your next med.. he finally went out to talk to the dog!:)

Anonymous said...

First of all, thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always lovely to see new people.

Secondly I love the photo on your banner heading.

Thirdly this all sounds like my sons and the teeth brushing saga. I put the toothpaste on their toothbrushes so all they have to do is clean them. They appear and I say "have you cleaned your teeth?" and they say "yes". And they never have. One day I even caught one of them washing the toothpaste off the brush so I wouldn't spot he hadn't cleaned them when doing that takes just as long as brushing them in the first place. Perhaps I need to implement the Witness scheme too before they all end up with no teeth.

I don't wear a watch either!

Far Side of Fifty said...

hey reluctant..glad you found me!! I hope you stop by again. I love to take pictures, and that cluster of pine cones was screaming at me to be photographed!
The Witness Program may work for you with those boys and their teeth brushing..it's worth a try!:)

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I had to laugh too! Cowboy takes one med...I within 12 hours if he 'forgot' ! Been taking them for 10 years...how can one forget??? What would they do without us!