Sunday, November 5, 2023

So Long

 Yesterday we said our last goodbye to an old friend from Oklahoma.  He died in Oklahoma a few weeks ago and his daughter brought him back home to be buried near his parents. 


Honor Guard at Barry's Committal Service.  Bag Pipes and Amazing Grace. "Off we go into the wild blue yonder, flying high into the sun..." and then taps.  One of the honor guards shared with us that an eagle flew overhead at one point in the service.  ( Typical for Air Force!)



The urn was beautiful! A suitable container for a very dear friend who served many years in the Air Force and The Air National Guard in Oklahoma City. He lived in Oklahoma part time after he retired because his children lived there and the rest of the time he spent in Park Rapids.  We played many a card game with Barry, and neighbors Steve and Jo.  I made him a custom pair of shakers a long time ago....he never did give them away he kept them for himself.

Goodbye old friend.

AIR FORCE SONG 

Off we go into the wild blue yonder, Climbing high into the sun; Here they come zooming to meet our thunder, At 'em boys, Give 'er the gun! (Give 'er the gun now!) Down we dive, spouting our flame from under, Off with one helluva roar! We live in fame or go down in flame. Hey! Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force!


Far Side



19 comments:

Maebeme said...

My sympathies on the passing of your friend Barry. He sounds like a very interesting man with many stories to tell.
The salt and pepper shakers were beautiful, so detailed!

Sara said...

It's so hard to say a final good bye to old friends. I looked at those shakers you linked to - WOW!! I can totally understand why he kept them. Beautiful.

Latane Barton said...

It's so hard to see part of a happy life go beyond our reach but oh, the memories we have!

Linda Reeder said...

I never knew all of the words to the Air Force Song.
Beautiful urn, and those loon shakers are wonderful.
It's hare to say goodbye to old friends, but the longer we live the more often it happens. Peace be with you.

Sandra said...

Condolences on the loss of Barry. I, too, looked at the shakers. I can see why he kept them.

Leah said...

Oh thank you for posting and taking some pictures. I wanted to be there but timing wasn't great. I considered him a friend also. I always thought he was a thoughtful, caring, proud of his military career man. He will be missed.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely tribute!

Rita said...

So sorry you lost your good friend. Glad he got to come home to Minnesota.
And that is so sweet that he couldn't give away his loon shakers!! I certainly couldn't, either. He knew how precious they were.

Shirley said...

Amazing Grace and Taps usually bring a tear to my eye- and I love the bagpipes. They touch the soul.
May your friend rest in eternal peace.

Miss Merry said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. What a lovely send off.

Wildflower Adventures said...

Condolences for the loss of your dear friend.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

It is sad when we lose a good friend but it happens more as we age

L. D. said...

I am sorry for the loss. He returned to the Park Rapids area. The Air Force song is one of my favorites of all of them. I think we sang them all when I was in grade school.

Betsy said...

Many condolences to you and Far Guy at the passing of Barry. It sounds like a beautiful service, eagle and all! Dennis knew the words to the Air Force song but I didn't know them all. Of course, he's a veteran of the Air Force so it stands to reason he would know them.
I looked at the S & P shakers you made for Barry. They are so gorgeous and detailed. I can see why he decided to keep them for himself.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

diane in northern wis said...

Praying for your dear friend Barry. What a great send off for him. Love the urn! You sure made some fancy shakers! I can see why he loved them.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sorry for your loss of an old friend.

Ed said...

I'm probably built a bit different but I always enjoy a good funeral at the cemetery with all the pomp and circumstance, especially of the military kind. They don't seem to happen very often these days.

My condolences on the loss of your friend.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

So sorry to hear about your friend's passing. That urn is beautiful and those shakers you made for him are gorgeous...you are so talented! Thanks for the words to the air force song...I can only ever remember the first part.

Terry and Linda said...

My condolences to you and Far Guy. We of that age now when our friends start leaving us. So sad