Friday, September 6, 2019

Town

The second block of Main Street.
The west side

I have not been in the Pawn Shop for some time.  I should stop by and say hi to Royce someday soon.  Next to the Pawn Shop is a tourist shop of some kind....I have not been in there for years. (The Pawn Shop used to be a bank)

Still the west side of the second block...two stores are closed..Book World and Molly Poppins at the end of this block.   Molly Poppins has moved across the street. The old bakery is now Beyond Juice...a Doctor in town owns it...health food stuff ya know. The old teenage hangout is now Minnesoda Fountain...and they close at 4 PM.  The old Variety Store is some other kind of store...they burn horrible smelling candles.

The East side of the second block on Main Street

A Music Shop (used to be a bank), The Good Life Cafe and Molly Poppins new location...they sell gourmet popcorn , I went in and bought some caramel corn with sea salt.  It smells really good in there!

The rest of the block, a Christian Radio Station, Trading Post where they still gift wrap anything you buy!  A tourist shirt shop, Ben Franklin ( Dime Store) and Monikas...a quilt and yarn shop...where I went in to look at yarn and might have bought some more bamboo needles.

Then I went over to my parents house...helped Mom with a problem at the Bank...someone used her credit card but I think it is all sorted out now. 

I was almost late meeting Far Guy at the Clinic after his two appointments...I had the special vials for his blood draw...so we did that too.  Went  home, dropped off recycles and went out to lunch, came home and had a nap..

Later in the afternoon I went back into town to take my Dad to Bingo and we each Bingoed once so we got our money back ...so it was a free night out for both of us!

Far Side

23 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

What a lovely town! You have lots more than we do here. It's sad to see a bookstore close. It's so neat and well kept in your town too with benches and flowers. Lucky you with a yarn shop! Congrats on the bingo!

Anonymous said...

I love little towns like that. It's so much fun to look through odd little shops. It's been ages since I've had one of those road trips where you can do that. I miss it. Araignee

linda m said...

What a lovely town Unfortunately small businesses are closing everywhere. Where I live we just lost lost an old clock shop that had been in business for over 60 years. Best clock repair shop I have ever been in and the best variety in new clock ever. A real shame to lose it.

Val Ewing said...

Neat town! So many of our store fronts have changed also in our small town. I love shopping our 3 thrift/used stores we have. Two up town have really nice stuff, and the one on the edge of town has more of a yard sale feel to it.
Our small downtown is thriving when others struggle. The 'new' blood from 20 yrs ago that was met with resistance from the old town fathers has proven to be very valuable to our area.
Thanks for the tour!

DJan said...

Nice small town, very compact and filled with lots of variety. I wonder what the population of your town is.

Miss Merry said...

Thank you for the tour! You are a busy lady.

Jenn Jilks said...

A lovely tour, indeed! I'm off to stack some wood.

Henny Penny said...

I love old downtown stores like those. Wish life was simple again.

Far Side of Fifty said...

about 4,000 people

Sara said...

Your small town does look like it's still thriving and quite charming.

Betsy said...

I sure enjoyed your town tour. It's good to see small towns with open stores and thriving businesses. What's with the teen hangout closing at 4:00 though? I would think that would be when it would get busy after school and provide a place for them in the evenings instead of out causing problems. Oh well. What do I know? :-) . You even have a yarn shop! I'm jealous.
Congrats on the bingoing!
Blessings,
Betsy

Terry and Linda said...

Thank you for the tour. I think you have a lovely town. I also thought the Bank turned Pawn Shop was rather a cool pun!

Rita said...

Nice town. So many changes over the years in small towns or big ones. Glad you got all the errands and appointments done and even had a lucky bingo night. :)

Linda Reeder said...

This is like what going to town used to be like before I became a city girl.

Granny Marigold said...

There are some nice old buildings in your town. Nice that there's a wool shop.
I hope your mom wasn't too upset because of the credit card thing. Good that you could clear that up for her.

Maebeme said...

Congrats on the Bingo win! Your little town looks like a tourist attraction. Isn't it sad that so many banks have closed?

Red said...

What a busy day! And it was topped off by a win or two.

Far Side of Fifty said...

On no the banks just moved off Main Street into bigger and larger buildings:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

It was the place to go back in the day. The new owners have no idea what kind of Gold Mine they had:(

Laurel Wood said...

I always love the charm and architecture of older downtown districts. Your popcorn sounds good. We were tempted to buy some caramel apple popcorn at the apple orchard today but did not. Hoping everything with your Mom's card is ok now. So thankful you and your Dad have a special time together at Bingo. Praying very earnestly for you both. xo

diane in northern wis said...

Nice to see your little town....it looks really cute. I think I would like to visit a few of those stores. How nice that both you and your dad bingoed! Wasn't that long ago that you both shared in the big one! I am always amazed at all you accomplish in a day. Thank you for a great blog! I enjoy it so much.

Lady Fi said...

Sweet town!

Shirley said...

The Pawn Shop used to be a bank... in a way it still is!
Good to hear the the doctor is so optimistic. Still praying for Far Guy and for whomever will be his donor.