Thursday, September 12, 2019

Third Block of Main

The Third block of Main Street is not an area I visit often.  Years ago there was a shoe shop called Arnie's Shoe Repair that I visited often!  I can still smell leather when I think about his shop.

East side of the third block.  Lazy One (not sure what they sell), Beauty Shop (old lumber yard), Pet Food Store (used to be Arnie's Shoe Repair),  Chinese Restaurant,  License place and UPS Shipping (used to be a Hardware Store)  I have never been in the restaurant...but the cook hangs out around back...when I worked in town I would drop off mail in the alley behind this block and more often than not see him out back. . 



West side of the third block.  A long time ago the building on the left was a  Hotel.  It has been many businesses over the years...a VCR Rental Shop, Medical Supplies etc...  there is a Barber Shop, a Beauty Salon, an Italian Restaurant, an Artsy Fartsy Store, a Beauty Salon (Cheryl's Shop...I used to get hair cuts there once in awhile) and a Water Store.  I have not been to the Italian Restaurant...if  we want to eat pasta we make our own.

I took another photo from the other end of the third block.


Flowers by the Lazy One


Every year people donate money so that hanging baskets of flowers can be all around town.
Far Side

16 comments:

linda m said...

I love your Main Street, especially the hanging baskets.

DJan said...

We have hanging baskets, too, and I enjoy them very much. I'm curious what the Lazy One sells, though. :-)

Miss Merry said...

Very pretty. Years ago when I worked at our county extension office, they began a program called "Master Gardeners". Each year serious gardeners sign up for a year long class schedule and become gardening experts, with certification. As a service to our community, they now plant petunias and other annuals in flower beds at every crosswalk and maintain them all summer. They are just gorgeous. I love to see a vibrant "small town". Yours is beautiful.

Araignee said...

What a lovely little town! Our little town has very few local merchants left. Our sweet little candy store is now going out of business.

Pauline Persing said...

I like your town and its history. Even little towns where people say nothing ever changes, change.

Rita said...

Now I am so curious as to what kind of shop the Lazy One is--LOL!
Love the hanging baskets.

Maebeme said...

Me too! What does the Lazy One sell? It's great to see lots of businesses in a smaller community. I know my home town has seen several businesses close without a new business moving in.

Tired Teacher said...

Shoe repair shops seem to have disappeared along with pay phones. I loved the smell of leather when the door opened, too.

Terry and Linda said...

Love love your main street and the very lovely hanging baskets. Thank you so much.

Betsy said...

It looks like you have a lot of shops and restaurants for a small town. Things change from the way we like them. I'm not one who is fond of change. The hanging baskets are very pretty.
Blessings,
Betsy

Laurel Wood said...

Hi, Love to see where my blog friends live. My grandma lived on Main St. and was two doors down from the shoe shop. As I walked by going to grandma's, I remember the smell of the shoe shop. The hanging baskets are so pretty. We are having a hard time keeping plants alive. It's been near 100 for 2 weeks. Praying for you both, sending our love.

diane in northern wis said...

Love the hanging baskets of flowers....they add so much and are so pretty. Looks like some interesting shops in town. My big pot of geraniums and pots of impatiens are still doing well, in spite of the very cool temps here. High about 56 degrees today and rain! Take care you two!

Red said...

At least your town is still alive and in business. Our small towns have disappeared.

Granny Marigold said...

If and when you discover what they sell as The Lazy One be sure to let us know.

The Wykeham Observer said...

I like the covered walkways and the parking in the middle of the street.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Those hanging flower baskets are such a nice touch!