Thursday, January 17, 2019

Hawaii : Day Six

We cooked breakfast, packed up and headed out for a couple last looks around.
We stopped for a closer look at Kilauea and some steam vents.  I felt like the ground was warm…well me and my Crocs thought so…they tend to warm up faster than other shoes.  Jen and Far Guy also thought that the ground was very warm there.
Tree molds…a long time ago huge trees stood in this area, the trees had so much moisture in their trunks that when the volcano did it’s thing the lava cooled around the trunks of the trees. Not a great photo but you get the idea.

We headed off on Hwy 11 or Hawaiian Belt Hwy.
There were rocks and lava and hills with cows and sheep.  Finally we saw signs of the coastline.
Black Sand Beach at Punaluu Beach Park
Jen taking photos
Jen and her Dad
The black sand is just like any other sand. Hard to walk on and hot.
A busy spider at the beach.
Coastline along Hwy 11
This was one of my favorite areas…not many people live in the area and the towns are small. The views of the Pacific are stunning.
We took a break at “The Southernmost Bakery in the USA.”  I had a jelly filled bismark…and Far Guy had a slice of lemon pie and coffee. We sat in a shady gazebo and listened to the live island music. Punaluu Bake Shop is a wonderful place to stop!
Lava fields along the Hwy.
Our next stop was that thrift shop/fruit stand with my Passionfruit Jam.
Then it was time to check into The Sheraton Kona Resort at Keauhou Bay.
This was the view from our lanai, I went to the pool, we both enjoyed the views and relaxing on the lanai.  We went with the teenagers for supper at a resort restaurant and then watched the sunset over the ocean, we walked along the resort property and saw that the lights to attract the plankton were on and many boats were circling the lights looking for Manta Rays.

We were tired and went to sleep early. So far it had been a traveling vacation around the island…Far Guy and I were ready to settle down for a few days. BTW the beds at The Sheraton are wonderful…best sleep I had the entire vacation.  Our next bed will probably be one of theirs.
Far Side

19 comments:

DJan said...

I'm on my own vacation and am enjoying hearing about your trip to Hawaii! :-)

Val Ewing said...

How fun. I was just looking at some photos my brother had transferred to digital last night from my father's slides. Photos of in some of those same places!...But in 1965 and sequential years after!

linda m said...

Hawaii is just so beautiful!

Pauline Persing said...

Beautiful photos.

Cynthia said...

I’ve always wanted to see a black sand beach as i think I’ve seen every other color. You made me think about how hot it must be to walk on though.

Leah said...

Looks wonderful - thank you for sharing! Curious what kind of beds :)

Sam I Am...... said...

Gorgeous photos. I too always like the less populated/touristy areas for really enjoying the place....where ever the 'place' is. I think you get a better feel for what it is truly like. The bakeshop sounded yummy!

Robin said...

I have been to the Big Island twice (for a conference both times) and never left the resort. I am so sad I missed all the beautiful things you saw! Thank you for sharing your pictures! Oh, we did take the helicopter tour so I did see both sides of the island but I can tell by your pictures there is much more to that beautiful place!

Tired Teacher said...

The Big Island is my favorite because it doesn't feel as touristy as the other islands.

Far Side of Fifty said...

https://www.sheratonstore.com/product.aspx?mattress-box-spring

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your vacation commentary so much. We have been to the big Island twice, but have always stayed on the Hilo side. It is a beautiful island with lots less people than Oahu and Maui. I like that too. The bakeshop sounds wonderful. I think the black sand beaches are hotter too. I’m glad things seem to be better for the last part of the vacation after such a rocky start. Blessings always, Betsy

Rita said...

I enjoy visiting places that aren't jammed with tourists. These look stunning! I hope you got to take more of your jam home--but would they let it through at the airport?

Terry and Linda said...

I love going with you on your vacation! Your photos are outstanding...and you get to wear CROCS!

Laurel Wood said...

Beautiful photos and all so interesting.

Red said...

For this prairie boy, volcanoes and their evidence is pretty fascinating.

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful vacation! Thank you for sharing with us!

diane in northern wis said...

Love the pictures and your stories. So glad you're bringing us up to date on your wonderful vacation!

Linda Reeder said...

Sounds like a beautiful and more relaxing day.

Linda W. said...

I loved the Punaluu bakery too!