Sunday, January 13, 2019

Hawaii : Day Three

Happy New Year’s Day in Hawaii! After a great breakfast of eggs, bacon and pineapple, we checked out of the Condo…but no one grabbed the key so we were locked out.  Luckily Jen knew who to call.

Anaehoomalu Bay

We headed out to a beach.  Anaehoomalu Bay….a beautiful little beach where I enjoyed the waters of the Pacific. Yes, I got wet.

IMG_3654

We watched a Sea Turtle.

IMG_3662

I imagine he was saying Happy New Year!

We left from Waikoloa Beach area and headed east across the island.  I began to sneeze…I sneezed so much they stopped saying “Bless you”

Gene at a lava tube New Years Day 2019

Far Guy resting near a lava tube

on the way to Hilo

On the way to Hilo

The closer we got to our destination the worse I began to feel I had a super dooper head cold.  We checked in at Kilauea Military Camp…very near the crater…Far Guy says our first cottage was just 450 feet from the edge of the crater.  The cottage was horrid, it smelled of wood smoke from a recently used wood fireplace.  This WWII military facility has many cottages available for rent, they converted barracks into one, two and three bedroom cottages.

I was exhausted and went to sleep. I slept on and off for 16 hours, everyone else went to Hilo for supper.  They brought me back some ribs to eat.  One thing you can say for the mountain air is that it was much cooler however the air smelled like sulfer.  The next morning I felt like I would live and they wouldn’t have to toss me over the edge of the volcano. After a good breakfast we packed up and put all our stuff into storage for the day and began a new adventure…

Blog Signature

23 comments:

Cathie said...

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us! Great photos!

Pauline Persing said...

Sorry you had a sick spell. The rest of the adventures are interesting.

NCmountainwoman said...

You picked a perfect time to get away in spite of the difficult start. We are totally iced in and much of the country is even worse. Enjoy the rich sunshine.

Miss Merry said...

Now that you are home safe and sound, I am thinking that this vacation could be a very humorous movie. What are the odds of a horrible head cold in Hawaii? I am sure that sulpher smell did not help at all!

Anonymous said...

Was is Chevy Chase with you on your vacation? It sounds like things went from bad to worse for you. I hope it turned around fairly soon. I am glad you’re safely home now. Blessings, Betsy

Terry and Linda said...

Shoot! I'm sorry you got a cold. Darn it, but it sounds like you were able to continue after a long spell of rest. Your photos are great!

Cynthia said...

I think they had a few extra vowels laying around when they named that A——u Bay! Sure is pretty though. You were really lucky to sea a see turtle swimming. Interesting that they turned a WWII military facility into tourist tourist accommodations.

Linda Reeder said...

Was it a cold or a reaction to the vog -volcanic emissions and fog?

Rita said...

Oh no! Bummer that you got sick. Sounds like the staying in bed and sleeping a lot helped.
Love the pics and the sea turtle.

Karen said...

Yay, you went in the ocean! Sorry to hear about the cold thought, but at least it didn't stick around long. Enjoying your trip along with you :-)

Red said...

Airplanes are the worst germ spreaders ever invented.

Bonnie said...

So sorry you were sick. Traveling and changing climates can do that to us. I hope you felt better for the remainder of your trip.

Val Ewing said...

You went to most of my favorite places there! I love the farmer's market, walking there to shop for fruits for breakfast has been one of my favorite things to do...well, yrs ago now. I love the winters, but do love the Big Island so much. I've had nothing but good memories from that place.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Feeling sick sucks and the smell of sulfur also sucks

L. D. said...

Catching a cold hat to be frustrating. It didn’t help to have such a stressful time getting over there. I am not so sure I would be a fan of the lava area but I bet it really is interesting to see. The sulfur smell reminded me to the Yellowstone Park experience when that smell was so prevalent.

DJan said...

Bummer about getting sick. I often do the same when traveling and am hoping to avoid it next week when I travel to Florida. :-)

Pamela said...

Im so sorry your trip marred by some head cold. Was it good or bad that you could still smell the sulpher?

Jenn Jilks said...

It's so difficult being sick on vacay!

Far Side of Fifty said...

well sulfer stinks and it was bad for Far Guy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Just a head cold.

Linda Reeder said...

The vanilla farm is very interesting. Looks like there were none blooming during your visit. They must be quite beautiful and fragrant in bloom.

Laurel Wood said...

Savannah GA smells like sulpher - a lovely place but hard to take the odor. So sorry you were sick.

Sam I Am...... said...

So sorry you got sick! That's awful especially when you're not at home. Sulphur is not a good smell!